Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a grandfather clock which has the following engraved

Customer Question

I have a grandfather clock which has the following engraved in the brass face:
G Stuart, Newcastle, 1725
Includes a great deal of wood carving over most of the body
Do you have any onfo, including possible value?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Your clock was made by Geoffry Stuart who later was in business with Stockel in Newcastle, but the brand is not considered one of the premier makers of the era, sorry. At present, most will retail in working condition in the range of $2,500 to $3,500 (while those made by Stockel and Stuart tend to retail from $1,500 to $2,500). Here is an example of the later pattern:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13587/lot/328/
-
Prices have actually declined a bit from when that one sold in 2006, unfortunately, as have many fine collectibles which are suffering in the weak overall world economy today.
For insurance replacement value of your tall clock, I would suggest a valuation of $5,000 but if selling, be prepared to accept less. I do wish I could provide you with more uplifting news, and hope you understand.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve