Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a chair in the Sheraton style (mostly) with the marking

Customer Question

I have a chair in the Sheraton style (mostly) with the marking WBL or W. BL?? stamped on the underside of the seat. Any idea if this was a maker?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos. A full image of the chair from top to feet, front and side and a more clear, in-focus close-up of the initials would be ideal.
When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I'll have to send to photos another way. This field doesn't give the option to attach media.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
You can try emailing your images to***@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.
Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.
~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looks like I can load pics from my desktop... Here they are.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim,
Thank you for the image.
I have not found a match to the initials for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Have you had the chair upholstered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I reupholstered it myself. The fabric I replaced wasn't original either. The cushion has horsehair. The right-angle supports for the rails are screwed in.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...you did a nice job! With the combination of things you note, the chair most likely dates to the late 19th or very early 20th century (they still use horsehair today in upscale furniture and even mattresses, most folks don't realize that). I have reviewed all guides to maker marks and I don't think the stamping is that of the manufacturer, honestly--if could have been the assembler or even the inspector prior to sale, but it is clearly factory made.

Since you stated the upholstery was not original when you got it, the stamps could also be those of the person who did the previous work--I have seen that as well with furniture.

I'm afraid there are tens of scores of makers that it could be from, so I can't do much to help you there--but if you wish to be advised of current value, just let me know!

With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I'm not too interested in the value. I paid $60 at auction, but I just like to know where things are from our of curiosity. I thought that marking might be the key. Without a definitive answer, is there a way I can get a reimbursement?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I opted out of the thread--but I can advise of retail value if you wish. I don't think, honestly, anybody could positively advise you with full confidence what the stampings are--but if you wish to stop at this point, just contact Customer Service (*****@******.***) regarding refunds--experts have no input on site policy or procedure regarding billing, payments, fees, etc.

Please let me know either way!
With kind regards,
Steve