Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a painting by Alexander a 20th century cubist approximately

Customer Question

I have a painting by Alexander a 20th century cubist approximately 3 foot by 3 foot appears to be original. looking for a resource to give appraisal. I acquired it in a estate sale. have photographs.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Could you post an image of the work and a close up of the signature, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the photos
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. Alexander Archipenko is considered to be the first cubist sculptor in world art, and based on your images the art is very likely a reflection of his style, but not created by him as he never signed in western language form. Alexander Porfyrovych Archipenko (also referred to as Olexandr, Oleksandr, or Aleksandr) was born May 30, 1887 and died February 25, 1964 and was a Ukrainian avant-garde artist, sculptor, and graphic artist.
There is no listed cubist artist who signs in that manner, by the way, so the work could have been done by either an unknown or even a student who was familiar and skilled in manipulation of the form and style. It is a very well done piece, by the way, but as unlisted art the value will be based more on "beauty in the eye of the beholder" than anything else.
Based on current trends, the work would likely command a value from $750 to $1,200 in most markets as again, it is well done. Unfortunately only listed artists have track records of open market sales, and the signature is not noted in any international guide, sorry.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve