Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have an Ansonia Clock Co. "Chemung" clock circa 1901 in good

Customer Question

I have an Ansonia Clock Co. "Chemung" clock circa 1901 in good condition. It runs. I want to insure it but need an idea of possible value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,
My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
It's tough to tell from the photo, but these models came with protective glass that would fit over the face.
Is this still with the clock?
Are there any nicks, or chips in the porcelain?
Thanks,
Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The glass is still in the face and from the looks of it, it is the original glass.
There is one chip, located on the bottom at the edge of the access opening to the clock works. In order to see it, you have to look at the side of the access hole and the chip is from the inside out. In other words, you have to look hard to see it.
There is micro-crazing but no other defects. 95% of the gold overlay is intact.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Excellent. Thanks for getting back to me with that information.
Yeah, it was tough to see that glass in photo, but glad it was there as it adds value to the antique clock.
Taking into account the very small chip and tiny amount of crazing with the large percentage of the gold overlay still in tact, your antique Ansonia "Chemung" porcelain hand painted clock would have a retail value of 450-550USD.
In the current market prices have slipped a little bit due to a drop in the economy and a lack of demand for the clocks. (Without mantles, who needs a mantle clock I guess) Anyhow, if you were going to sell the clock yourself a realistic fair market value would be between 200-300USD for the clock in good overall working condition.
There are people who are just trying to sell these for what they can get and I have seen them sell as low as 75-125USD, but the clock are worth a bit more than those kind of weak auction prices.
I hope this information was helpful to you today.
Best of luck with your antique Ansonia Clock.
Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated.
Thank You,
Frank
Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.