Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have an embroidered picture of St. Joseph, a typed description

Customer Question

I have an embroidered picture of St. Joseph, a typed description written by a woman who worked at the store where it was framed & a letter from a couple giving it to another as a gift. It's all detailed as follows: The letter is dated march 27, 1974 Okoboji, Iowa. It was originally purchased by this couple from Virginias Antiques in Des Moines, Iowa, they say "long, long years ago". The picture was done by Mary E. Schnell. It's made on German imported canvas of pure linen in Diana embroidery yarn in iceland quality. The background is needlepoint. It's a picture of his face, robe, arm & hand holding "The Lily" (the symbol of St. Josephs life). At the bottom are 50 rows of minute stitches with the name St. Joseph written on the right & the artists, M. E. Schnell at the left. It is 20X28 oval & is framed & mounted in a solid mahogany frame. Would you please try to give me your best guess as to what this might be worth. Thank you, Melissa.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa~
My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question.
At your convenience, please send photos.
When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment.
If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert
I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but am unable @ this time to provide a photo. Please, to the best of your ability, using the the quite descriptive information provided, give me an estimate of the worth of this piece. Thank you for your time & understanding. Melissa.

Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi Melissa,
In order to properly assess what you have I would really need to see it.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Nora for your honesty, it's quite refreshing! I'm only sorry i'm so computer illiterate that it's rendered me incapable of getting you the pictures you require. Thank you for your time & patience. Melissa.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you still need assistance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i would still like to know how much you feel this piece might be worth. Thank You!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

would you let me know if you received my first reply & if you are working on your reply to me please. Thank you.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello...yes, I am working on this for you and sorry for the delay--your responses came in after I left for the day and before I got in!

I looked for the potential maker and found so many women by that name, it is near impossible to ascertain which one was the person doing the work, sorry--I was amazed how many women had that name in the midwest and abroad (via Ancestry.com). It is pretty clear that she was likely just a talented individual and none I found had any links to fine arts, per se.

Did the sellers give you any suggestions as to the actual age of the work? Or the region? That could help narrow it down and also firm up the price estimate....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No all the information i have is in the original question. I took this to a "treasure hunt" put on by a local tv station here in Iowa years ago and an appraiser said she didn't know much about embroidry & didn't think there was anyone in Iowa who did but she would put it in her shop @ least $500. Probaly doesn't help but she felt it was extremely well done & old. "Younkers" dept. store in Des Moines Iowa is who framed it for the couple if that route does you any good...Otherwise the only way i know to get you a picture is to send it via email. Perhaps i could send it to a customer service number? Thank you for your patience!

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
I understand, thanks...but honestly, I think whoever did the evaluation was being a bit too kind on the value--but if possible, you can send images to***@******.*** and ask they forward them to me (Steve, Antiques). I will continue to pursue other avenues in the interim until we get this nailed down.

With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Steve, I will do that! Sorry for the delay, life...

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem, I understand that far more than most! At your convenience, always.

Have a blessed holiday weekend!
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did get those pictures sent last night to customer service, however i don't know how long that will take before they reach you. Hopefully soon & you can move on to your next customer, lol! Again my apologies! Time is on your side now, take as much as you need & you enjoy your weekend as well! Thank you, Melissa.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
No worries...as long as you directed them to***@******.*** and asked they be forwarded to me (Steve, Antiques), I will receive them--sometime! <grin>
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve! Did they ever send you those pictures from customer service? Just let me know. Thank you, Melissa.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...just checked again. I will send a note to Customer Service, so sorry!
Steve