Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Folks, Have used you before. I inherited what I suspect

Customer Question

Hi Folks,
Have used you before. I inherited what I suspect may be a forged Juvenia watch which was gifted to me by my deceased parents. I can send photos. It is a rectangular, not square, automatic. On the back of the watch is the number(###) ###-####with 750 embossed above that.
Any idea what this is? what it might be worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hi...could you post a close up of the back, please, and do you see any numerical markings on the band or clasp?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem. Where do I send it? It also says automatic on the back. Having looked on-line it seems similar to a Macho 25J, but calendar is on bottom of face where the 6 marker would otherwis be,. I am having a problem posting pics on this website. Cam you give me an e-mail address and I will send several for your review?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Let me check...
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
OK, it seems the best way is to email them to***@******.*** and ask they be forwarded to me (Steve, Antiques)--also, please check the band and clasp for any markings!
Thank you in advance and looking forward to helping,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, sent 5 photos. On the inside of the clasp I believe it says 18K. No other markings on band or clasp. Watch itself is approx 15/16" high x 11/8" wide. Believe the 750 on back indicates its gold?
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...will advise upon receipt. Yes, if marked "750" that indicates 18k gold. Have you ever had it tested to see if it WAS gold? Many copies have correct markings but are plated--a simple test you can do on the band is use a magnet as most gold plated spurious pieces have iron as core filler....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Magnet is not the least bit attracted to watch, clasp or band.
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
That is a plus! Still no images, but I will be online for several more hours today, on and off, and will be back with you ASAP.
With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Steve,Received this last evening:Hello,Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.We have sent your files to your Expert. If you have any comments for the Expert, please post them on your question page linked here:http://www.justanswer.com/antiques/92xr4-folks-have-used-before-inherited-suspect.htmlYou will receive an email confirmation once the Expert has posted a response.Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with and I would be happy to help.Regards,Miel
Customer SupportThanksLee H. Bessell
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Just checked, nothing yet...but a lag is normal, pending volume at any given time...again, I am checking regularly!
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Got 'em! The only thing that worries me about your watch is that there appears to be wear on the back, sort of silvery looking in the image--and if 18k gold, it is NOT plated but solid metal throughout. The box is correct, the form is correct and the dial is correct but again, those who create these copy them very closely and if anything, they are heavier than the originals--you really need to have the gold tested (any jewelry store and most pawn shops can do that, generally for free if you state you are selling)-- but shy of taking it apart, that is the easiest method to determine authenticity...please advise if you think you can arrange to have that done.
With kind regards,
Steve