rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have purchased a larch porcelain statuette depicting a group

Customer Question

I have purchased a larch porcelain statuette depicting a group of people playing cards. There is a title below saying "Les Tours De Cartes Dapres Chardin" and a marking with two feathers or arrows on the floor of the statuette. I know it's not a Meissen because the tail of each arrow has 4 feather-like ends facing up. There is no marking on the bottom of the statuette. Do you know what this might be and what it might be worth?
Here is how the seller described the item:
NICE ANTIQUE PORCELAIN FRENCH? OR GERMANY? I WILL LET THAT OT THE COLLECTORS,, , FOR SURE, I CAN SAY, VERY NICE PIECE OF ART, HAND PAINTED, MY GUESS AROUND 1850s? TO 1900s.. CONDITION, THE GUY IS HOLDING A CARD, ONE OF THEM IS BROKEN, AND THE RACKET IS REPAIR,, PLEASE SEE PHOTOS, THE REST, VERY GOOD CONDITION, THE PROBLEMS ARE HARD TO SEE, WITH A FEW BUCKS, YOU CAN FIX IT,, THIS PIECE IT HAS A LOT DETAIL,, 8 INCHES LONG X 6 3/8 INCHES WIDE X 5 1/2 INCHES (FROM THE CHAIR).
MARK WITH LOGO ARROW CROSS, BLUE MARK. THIS PIECE IS HEAVY, VERY NICE QUALITY PIECE. MARK IN FRONT:
LES TOURS DE CARTES D APRES CHARDIN. AT THE BOTTOM IT HAS SOME NUMBER WITH PENCIL C11060.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. A full image with the design and a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark would be ideal. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attached file with more pictures. Thank you.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
This is a well-executed late 19th century, circa 1880's 'Continental' porcelain figure group done in the Meissen style. A large number of these pseudo crossed blue line marks are yet unattributed. Continental is the term used for objects that are European origin, but do not have a country of origin stamp.
In current condition, this has a re-sale value of $350 - $500. With well-done repairs, it can sell for as high as $800 - $1000 - however the cost to find a qualified restorer, ship to them and pay the price for the work may be cost prohibitive.
Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating.
If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know!
Your question will NOT close after you leave rating.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nora,So you are saying that you can't identify the actual maker or the country of origin for this piece? Thank a lot.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
This is French porcelain and it depicts a figurine version of a painting by the 17th century French artist Jean Baptiste-Simeon Chardin titled House of Cards.
LE CHATEAU DE CARTES D'APRES CHARDIN translates to House of Cards after Chardin.
This figurine was made in the mid 1800's by Paris France porcelain factory Bloch.Generally called Paris Porcelain because there were many short-lived factories in Paris at this time. BOURDOIS & BLOCH - ACHILLE BLOCH - ROBERT BLOCH and PORCELAINE DE PARIS, all using the similar blue arrow mark or sticker with arrows. This piece needs some repair, but the value is 350 to 400.00 us dollars once repaired.