Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Hope you can help.. I have a 3' H x 5' W Japanese Woodblock

Customer Question

Hope you can help.. I have a 3' H x 5' W Japanese Woodblock mated and framed. I've been able to at least figure out that it is a version of Hokusai's original portrayal of two fishermen - one standing on a rock - the other sitting on a rock with their lines cast into the water of a river and with a stylized Mt Fuji in the back. I don't know how old it is but it's been in the family for at least 40 years. It came from my recently deceased aunt who acquired it from her brother in law who ran a small art gallery in Manhattan. The piece is on paper not canvas. and from the river to the mountain...there's no coloring so one can see the original paper which is starting to darken ever so slightly. The mountain and clouds are done in only ..what I would call indigo, the crashing waves are a vivid white.... anyway was hoping to understand if there is a market for this and gain a sense of what it might be worth.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. At your convenience, please send photos. When evaluating an item, photos are essential to helping me come to a correct assessment. If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send photos right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely,Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not seeing a paper clip
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email. Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
going to try the add files feature to send pics let meknow if this works..
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The attachment worked, however the images only open to thumbnail size, and I am not able to discern the item you have with small images. Please try sending each image through email. Thank you, Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can move them to power point. I'm not able to email you with the address you provided it has been masked.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My apologies about that, I am testing a new system, which is not recognizing the address as authorized. Please send to***@******.***. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See if this one is bigger..It's a bit grainy and the color for some reason isn't true..they are more vibrant...
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Yes, that does work better. In order for me to help determine online which state of a Hokusai you have, it would really be necessary for me to see very clear, high resolution images. I am not able to determine such with the photo provided. ~Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, I've taken additional pictures. what I've discovered is that with a digital camera backlighting a picture with a standard glass frame washes the colors/ so what I've done is moved closer to the picture. My body masks the reflected light an provides truer color. so I'll be sending you small shots of the larger picture for your evaluation. At the end of the day I'm just trying to figure out what I should insure this for..With that said in looking on the internet...There does not appear to a Hokusai of this size.
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Please send the new set of images at your convenience.
Sincerely,
Nora
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Nora, I'm attaching the additional pics of various sections of the larger piece. hope it helps
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the images.
Please allow me some time to look these over for you.
~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.
Hi There,
I have not found a match to this for you.
I will opt-out here and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra.
I will not be able to respond back after opting-out.
I do hope you find the information that you seek.
Sincerely,
Nora