Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

Indian Bronze Ganesh

Customer Question

I have what I believe is an Indian bronze Ganesh. It stands approximately 10 1/2" h. I am curious about the identity of the figure, its approximate age, and estimated value.

Condition is good, the oxidation seen in the picture being the major detraction.

The photos are from an older camera which I can retake with a much newer and improved one if they are of insufficient quality.

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Does the form feel hollow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. I have a picture of the base underside I will post later today which shows some of the artifacts of what I presume was the lost wax method. in other words, this object is not solid bronze in the sense of its entire volume being metal.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you...a view of the underside of the casting will be very helpful!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had forgotten how the bronze was formed. when looking under the base, there appear to be 2 halves which suggests sand casting.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! You clearly do have an investment casting most likely lost wax, and possibly in bronze...you need to scratch the underside with a steel pin and see if it looks yellow-reddish or silvery, as some of these are cast in spelter aka "French Bronze." Honestly, it does not appear to be older than the mid-20th century as the type of casting was not common until then--earlier examples tend to be solid, and better grade ones have foundry or casting marks near the base area. I think you likely have a decor grade piece, unfortunately, which likely won't command much over $125-150 in most markets today.

This one, for example, is new and sells for around $65...it is a little smaller, cast in China as many are even for the Indian market...:
-

http://www.amazon.com/Dancing-Ganesh-Statue-Cold-Bronze/dp/B0045J43I2
-
WIth an elephant head and multiple arms, Ganesha is a mystifying and somewhat comical looking figure to those unfamiliar with the culture. In one of the forms, he is called Nritya Ganapati, the dancing God who is depicted as a four arm deity. Ganesha is considered a remover of obstacles and is associated with beginnings, which makes this statue a great gift idea for housewarmings and for festivals--and they have been produced in vast numbers since the end of WWII.

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,
Steve