Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a 25"X35" pastel that belonged to my husband's father

Customer Question

I have a 25"X35" pastel that belonged to my husband's father and it was of his sailing ship.
He was a sea captain in Brevic, Norway. I cannot make out the artist's signature, I only
have been able to determine the first name is Sydney. It probably dates back to the late
1800 period.
I would appreciate any estimate of value you may be able to give.
I had a double mat and frame added for $350.00.
Thank you,
Patricia Olsen
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Could you post an image of the work and a close up of the signature?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve:Attached please find images of the picture for your appraisal.Please advise if any additional information is needed.Thank you for your assistance. I look forward to getting your response.Pat Olsen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
***-***-**** please call when finished. Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update. The name is***** but the artist is not listed in any recognized artist guide. I also ran an international name check on Ancestry.com but the result was: Your Search for Sydney Deangeles returned zero good matches
It is likely a local or regional artist who did the work. The form appears to be circa 1890s to early 1900s and as an unlisted artist work, the only way to determine value is to compare similar unlisted artist works of the same genre, style and era. Realistically, the work would retail in the $750 to $1,250 range on the open market today, pending pure eye appeal and demand. The framing will certainly add to the appeal of the work, and you could see an increase in value up to around a maximum of $1,500.
If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.
Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.
Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.
Have a blessed day!
With kind regards,
Steve