rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I own an antique silver necklace, ornate 38" chain with a Cupid

Customer Question

I own an antique silver necklace, ornate 38" chain with a Cupid surrounded by open silver frame. It is at least 80 years old. Heavy in weight. How do I get it appraised?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I would love to help you with this piece. Please attach pictures of the necklace and of any marks. You can do that by using the paper clip icon in the text area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm having difficulty sending you more photos. How do I change existing paperclip
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
It is important the you use the paper cip icon while on a destop computer as it does not work on mobile or tablet devices. If on a desktop, the paperclip square will turn green then you just hit send and it will show up as a link in the text area. You do one photo at a time. If this still doesn't work for you, we can do email but that takes a long time for them toforward to me. Send to***@******.*** and put 'forCustomerin antiques' in the subject line so they will forward to me.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,This piece is considered a 'chain of office' made of either stamped brass or silver and used at a ceremony to annoint a new leader in office such as mayor, governor, soldier, etc. The insignias of fleur de lis indicate France, but the eagles with outstretched wings symbolize Germany/Austria/Poland. Because it does not contain jewels, it is not for a high office and is likely a regional or city office or military appointment rather than a state seat. The piece dates to 1890-1910 and has a value of 230-270 us dollars.