Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

Can someone help me get an idea of the value of some photographic

Customer Question

Can someone help me get an idea of the value of some photographic art works I own?
They are by Australian photographer Darren Sylvester.
2005 Let hopes and dreams be things we can achieve
and
2002 How do we know its real love.
His works have been exhibited internationally
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. Born in Sydney in 1974, Darren Sylvester studied at Charles Sturt University. As a photographer he has held several solo and many group shows and is currently listed in international art guides for his work. Only a few of his works have sold at auction, however, and most of the sales are via galleries who do not report the selling prices. On the open market, the few that have sold range in the $2,000 +/- 20% range but the bulk of open sales are recorded as NO SALE, meaning the opening bid or reserve prices were not met--here are the last three recorded and documented:Lot # ***** No Longer Exposed to Problems or Tensions (1999)Photography , Lambda print , 39 3/8 in x 27 1/6 in 100 cm x 69.0 cmEstimate: €1,397 - €2,095 $1,741 - $2,611 £1,096 - £1,645Hammer price: Lot not sold Lot not sold Lot not sold Leonard Joel, Melbourne VIC AUSTRALIA, 13 Nov 2014----Lot # ***** London Paris Tokyo New York (1999)Photography , Lambda print , 38 3/4 in x 38 3/4 in 98.5 cm x 98.5 cmEstimate: €2,228 - €2,925 $2,885 - $3,786 £1,776 - £2,331Hammer price: Lot not sold Lot not sold Lot not sold Leonard Joel, Melbourne VIC AUSTRALIA, 16 Sep 2014----Lot # ***** London Paris Tokyo New York (1999)Photography , Lambda print , 38 3/4 in x 38 3/4 in 98.5 cm x 98.5 cmEstimate: €2,774 - €4,161 $3,758 - $5,637 £2,213 - £3,320Hammer price: Lot not sold Lot not sold -It is likely a bit early on in his career to sell original works, but you can expect, most likely, on the private seller market prices around $2,000 today. You may wish to consider consignment to an upscale auction house or gallery, which would attract more international attention. If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.Have a blessed day!With kind regards,Steve
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
You can also consider, if you prefer, to try one on a dedicated art site such as Askart.com in their classifieds--that tends to work well at times.With kind regards,Steve