Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a mid century antique walnut dresser/credenza it's

Customer Question

hi i have a mid century antique walnut dresser/credenza it's in pretty good condition and has been in my family for 60 plus years beautiful walnut and basket weave. the back has the letters LL carved into the walnut and there is a big stamp of black lettering saying "D891-110 BUFF". how much do you think it's worth? (it's about 5 feet long)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer,My name is***** am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.Do you have any photos of the piece you may be able to send? There are a few different options to send pictures to us, they are as follows: UPLOAD:The link below will direct you through our upload processhttp://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert EMAIL:You can also email pictures to *****@******.*** with ATTN MTantiques in the subject heading. Be sure to include the link to your question page in the email for our customer service. The emails can take up to a few hours to process, but as soon as I receive it I can send my evaluation.Thank you for your time,Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still being assisted by Frank or did he opt out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi wanted more pictures which i gave him but haven't heard anything. do you know about this dresser? i'm trying to figure out how much it is worth.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
I understand...the mixture of rattan and pecan veneer along with the type of lacquered mounts leads me to think it likely was manufactured in the Phillipines or Indonesia, honestly, and probably sold via a market here in the US, which is rather common with larger furniture and furnishings trade businesses. It technically is a buffet, by the way, although it could be used for anything you want. The quality is about average for furniture of that type and today, a new one would cost you in the $2,200 to $2,800 range. Unfortunately the secondary market is a bit fickle in a weak economy, and if you sold it most likely it would retail for around $750-1,000. While it has some traits of mid century modern, the basic lines look 1960-70ish which will likely hold it back a bit with some collectors. If you do sell, you may want to do a light spruce up with something like Olde English scratch concealer in a light pine color--that will enhance it greatly. If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.Have a blessed day!With kind regards,Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks steve the reason why i'm asking is because i put it online yesterday for $2500 and i'm getting all These Emails from all over the States of People Wanting it which leads me to believe it's Special and under priced at 2500 - what about the Markings carved in the back? The letters LL i believe might be a Clue in who Manufaktured it. It's been in Our Family since 1955 so it's Not 60's 70's
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and so sorry for the delay. I know of no maker who used "LL," sorry...clearly some people feel it fits the bill for the elusive "mid century modern" style--which it could, in a loosely defined manner--to make sure we do all we can for you, I will opt out and refer this to other experts in the hope someone will know more about the marking than I do.

With kind regards,
Steve