Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have 3 big books here from Bifhop Burnets History of his

Customer Question

I have 3 big books here from Bifhop Burnets History of his own time Volume 1from the reftoration of King Charles II. London printed for ***** ***** in the inner temple lane 1724.
Second one is Bifhop Burnets History of his own time volume 2 from the Revolution to the treaty of peace at Utrecht, in the reign of Queen Anne printed in London for editor Joseph Downing in Bartholomew- Clofe and ***** *****fall in the Strand 1734.
Third one is the same as the first one but has a picture of Gilbert Burnet Bishop of Salisbury at the front of the book.
these book are 35-40 centremeters measuring the bind of the book and 25 centremetres across the book. they are also made of a leather hardcover outing.
Are these books worth anything?????
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. At present, the current retail prices are approximately $400-600 EACH for the works, if the bindings are sound and there is no major water staining or damages. Bishop Burnet (1643-1715) was a Scottish theologian and historian, educated at the University of Aberdeen. He was associated with the Whig party. His History of his Own Time or "secret history," as he called it, begins in 1683. He worked on it steadily until May, 1685, when he left England for the safety of the continent. He appears to have kept a running account of events in England during the reign of James II from The Hague, where he spent much of his exile. He returned to England after the revolution of 1688, when William and Mary took the throne. He worked on it intermittently from 1691 through 1703. In 1703, having read and admired Jacques-Auguste De Thou's Historia sui temporis, he decided to recast his history, making it less autobiographical and more impartial. He completed his recasting in 1704, and in 1705 resumed his History from when he left off. He worked on it until 1713 and spent the last two years of his life revising the final portions. Though it proved immediately controversial, Burnet's work remains an important sources for the period it deals with, and is admired for its detailed accounts of many events, and for Burnet's attempts to be accurate and fair. These books tend to sell best via well known antiquarian book dealers and international auction houses which have specialty book sales--you may wish to consider contacting Heritage in Dallas for a consignment for their next sale. You can expect dealer offers in the 40-50% range of retail, by the way, which is pretty much standard today. If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.Have a blessed day!With kind regards,Steve