rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I need some information regarding value of what i've been told

Customer Question

I need some information regarding value of what i've been told is a chamber pot. It is about 2 feet tall. It is white, has pink flowers painted on both sides. It has handles. Mark on bottom looks like a type of insect with antennae and has a banner with a word that looks like CLIVETTE or CLIVETSE.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I would love to help you with this piece. Please add photos of the piece and of the mark on the bottom. You can use the paper clip icon (in the box where you type) to add photos.
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I wonder if you were able to get pictures of this chamber pot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pictures you requested are again attached.
*****@******.***
Expert:  rarewares replied 2 years ago.
Your piece is from a vanity set and is called a slop jar. While it is similar in appearance to the chamber pot, it should have a lid. Primarily used to capture all waste water resulting from tooth brushing and bodily washing water from the basin in the set.
This piece is American ironstone and is in the Olivette pattern from an unknown maker that would have been in Ohio or New Jersey during the 1890-1910 time period. The design on the front is a Moss Rose, a popular design with both European and American potters at the time. Pieces from chamber sets do not have a lot of value currently, this piece being worth about 20.00. OF course, these days, it would be re-purposed as a vase.