Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a picture of "the last supper" I'd like to knew something

Customer Question

I have a picture of "the last supper" I'd like to knew something about it?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. You have a relatively common imprint set in a nice French Louis XIV styled frame. It appears to be mid-20th century, however. Do you happen to see a lithographer mark near a bottom edge? Is the back of the frame papered over, cardboard stock, or wood panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the back is cardboard I see no I lithographic mark at the bottom of the occur. I think the frame is what I'm more interested in, it's very beautiful and it has a sash/chord with the pompom top that it hands from. Seems to be decorated with some fine thread.

Expert:  Steven-R replied 2 years ago.
Thank you...the frame is likely primarily gesso, which is a blend of plaster and fillers over wood--very typical on French Provincial and Louis XIV styles--and the hanging cord is often a blend of weighted silk with acrylic (for extra strength). The print itself, again, is relatively common and does not appear to be any of the more rare examples--likely that is a $15-20 item. The frame, however, would cost you over $175 in a frame shop today NEW, so a vintage example can command up to around $225 in fine condition, which yours appears to be in.

With cardboard on the back (and not wooden panels), it likely dates to the time I initially thought...not much earlier than the 1940s or 1950s era. Unless you really love the print, I'd personally have a nice piece of mirror glass cut and replace it--the piece would be awesome in a boudoir or hallway and the value would increase as well!

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,
Steve