Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

My family has a painting of Pilgrims going to church by George

Customer Question

My family has a painting of Pilgrims going to church by George Henry Boughton. Wondering the value.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi There~ My name is ***** ***** I am here to help with your question. What is the size? At your convenience, please send photos. A complete image of the artwork including frame both front and back (do not remove from frame), a clear in-focus close-up of the signature, and a close-up of the surface so I can see the texture will be ideal. When taking a clear close-up try using the macro function on your camera. It looks like a small flower icon. This will allow sharper focus at a closer-range. If there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing on your board, then follow the steps on this link: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert I look forward to seeing the images. If you are unable to send images right away, that is fine – there is not a time limit here. Sincerely, Nora
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The painting has been removed from my parent's home, we believe my sister has it hanging in her living room. I have a picture of the picture. It is large, in color with a black wooden frame. I can attempt to scan the photo I have and crop it and enlarge it, if that might help.
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hello, Yes, at your convenience, please attach the photo of the picture here. ~Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I received your image, thank you. Good news and bad news. The Pilgrims Going to Church painting in your family is a framed reproduction image on texturized background made to look like an original painting. The one and only original of Pilgrims Going To Church by George Henry Boughton (1833–1905) is oil on canvas from 1867 that measures 29" × 52" is on permanent loan and display at the New York Historical Society and owned by New York Public Library. Here is a link for you about the painting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrims_Going_to_Church It was not uncommon throughout the 20th century for publishers to print reproduction images of well-known and popular paintings from all eras. They were sold through decorator, department stores and framer shops as decorative wall art. The original would have a replacement or insurance value of $50,000. Framed reproduction images of this painting sell can for a high of $50 - $100. Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. If you are having trouble finding the rating button, please let me know! Your question will NOT close after you leave rating. Sincerely,Nora
Expert:  Nora replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am just checking in to see if you have any additional questions about your item? Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who are only paid when you leave a favorable rating. Our conversation will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left. Thank you! ~Nora