Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have a small click that looks crocheted with sine tie if

Customer Question

I have a small click that looks crocheted with sine tie if none top.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to help. The clutch purse is more than likely Japanese, but could be Chinese--most encountered were made in Japan in the post-WWII era, often sent home by soldiers to their loved ones. They were still being made as late as the 1970s, and soldiers who were serving leave in Japan from VietNam often sent them home as well. Could you advise the overall dimensions, please, as that will affect the market retail.

With kind regards,
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me if there is any way if knowing what the top is made of? the dimensions are 6x5

Expert:  Steven-R replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. From the image, it appears most likely the upper portion is a resin form of synthetic ivory. Similar to plastic, the resin is embedded with powdered bone which give the appearance of bleached ivory--a very common practice since the end of WWII. You can test it by heating a pin red-hot and poking it in an obscure section--if synthetic, the pin will make a dimple by melting a bit. Real ivory or bleached bone will have no reaction other than the slight smell of a burning tooth (courtesy of your local dentist)--it is becoming harder to tell, as bone is added to the resins, but since there is far more resin than bone, it should be an easy test.

At present, a clutch of that type and size normally retails around $75--and it is classified generally as associated with evening ware accessories.

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also credited for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,
Steve