rarewares
rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Double handled, Ornate, floral, cherub, chalice?

Customer Question

I'm in the process of trying to restore an Aurora SP Mfg piece that I came by years ago. It was badly tarnished and has taken me several hours to get it to its current state. I was curious as to what it was, its age and if it is of any value. It has the triple plate warranted stamp on the bottom with the number 215. The handles have a "cherub" female figure with a nautilus shell body.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
Hello,This is an art nouveau period trophy cup, also called a loving cup made by Aurora Silver Plate Manufacturing of Aurora, Illinois. They were in business from 1869 to 1919, this piece would fall into the 1905 to 1910 time period by the styling. The number 215 is the pattern/shape number. Trophy cups , even in silver plate, are collectible items and interior decorators just love to use them in tablescaping and mantle or coffee table settings (filled with pink or white roses). This piece, once polished, has a value of 250.00.You might try the liquid silver jewelry dip found in the jewelry section at WalMart. You pour into another container that will handle the size of your subject, dip and watch the tarnish melt away! Rinse with water. This leaves a haze or yellowing sometimes, so you use WRIGHT's silver polishing cream after the dip to polish. That has always worked well for heavily tarnished silver plate and sterling items.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the interesting answer! I'm curious about the handles. Are they pewter or are they badly tarnished as well? I haven't tried polishing them yet because I wasn't sure.
Expert:  rarewares replied 1 year ago.
They look to be heavily tarnished. It would be uncommon for them to be made of another metal. Test a small area before you go crazy on the handles just to be safe.