Doris - dfm925
Doris - dfm925, Pres, Owner Appraisal Company
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP cert. Member AOA.Founded silver collection local museum
19572128

I have my great grandmothers china that I am trying to obtain

I have my great grandmother's china that I am trying to obtain information about. There is no manufacturer's name only green "shield" of 2 birds back to back, Made In Austria, and a maroon "signature" that resembles a cane attached to a cursive, lower-cased L. I have searched and searched and have not found anyone who can tell me anything about this beautiful set
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris - dfm925 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques collector, dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

Along with that experience, I also rely on an extensive personal library of reference books plus access to the results from major auction houses.

Thank you for using our site for your appraisal needs.

I will be pleased to try to help you but I need more information.

A. If you want values, I will need a list of pieces and how many of each you have.

B.To identify your china I am going to need two photos - one of the bottom marks and one of the front of a plate

These are the 3 ways to send photos to me:

1. You can use the paper clip icon or the tree icon at the top of your answer

Box.

Or:

2. Go to http://www.imgur.com.
a. Click "Computer".
b. Double click the image you want to upload.
c. Click "Start Upload".
d. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link

from that page and paste it on this page.

Or:

3. You can email the pictures toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is “dfm925.” It is important for you to send the email from the email address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address (the one you registered with) in the text.

OR:

You can click on the “Help” button on your screen or contact support@justanswer.com and they will guide you through the process.

Option #3 takes a little more time to process, but the photo(s) will get to me.

Sometimes it takes 24 hours for customers’ photos to be forwarded to my email from JA/Pearl. There is a large number of photos required in the Appraisals and Antiques section. Please know that if I am away from my computer when your photos arrive, I will respond as soon as I return to my computer.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Doris

Carol,
I just received your photos.
I will need to research and get back to you this morning.

Best,
Doris

Carol,
Your great-grandmothr's set has the mark of the Moritz Zdekauer factory of Bohemia (now part of the Czech Republic) and dates your pieces 1884-1910.
The factories were acquired by CM Hutschenreuther in 1909 and afterwards were renamed the Altrohlau Porcelain Factories.
The red mark is either for the specific factory where it was made or a factory ID for the artisan that designed the set decoration. Only the archives for the factories know for sure.

I hope this helps you understand your great-grandmother's china,

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest values in a timely manner.

If you would like for me to answer your future questions, you must put my name - DORIS - at the first of the question for the question to be assured of getting to me.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING now so that I am rewarded for my time and effort. Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty with photos or current values – both are beyond my control.

Kind regards,

Doris

“Dfm925”

Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP cert. Member AOA.Founded silver collection local museum