Tim in Antiques
Tim in Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, member of ANA, CFAA
54025905

Bowl painted for The Ceramic Art Co (Trenton, NJ) National

Bowl painted for The Ceramic Art Co (Trenton, NJ) National Porcelain Painting Competition 1897
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Tim in Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Tim in Antiques :

My name isXXXXX am a Certified Fine Art and Decorative Art Appraiser. Thank you for your question. How did you acquire the bowl?

Customer:

It was passed down in my family

Customer:

I don't know where it originated.

Tim in Antiques :

Was anyone in the family an artist or porcelain painter?

Customer:

one of my great grandmother's sisters was an artist - I have many charcoal portraits she did. There is an artist mark on the bottom, but it's abstract (resembles a Japanese character)

Customer:

I did find on the Met's website another bowl from this year's competition that said it is one of "three known bowls" from that competition

Tim in Antiques :

The reason I am asking is the Ceramic Art Company’s 1897 National China Painters’ Bowl Competition in New York City, amateurs decorated the same shallow circular bowl and their work was on exhibition for three days at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. It is possible that someone in your family was in the contest. And that is why I am asking.

Customer:

yes, it's possible

Tim in Antiques :

You have found the same information. The challenge is to establish a value on such an item. We have rarity, now we have to determine if there is a market.

Tim in Antiques :

I will have to do some research on this.

Customer:

ok

Tim in Antiques :

I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Customer:

alright. Thanks, Tim.

Tim in Antiques :

As you most likely know, The Ceramic Art Company of Trenton, New Jersey, was established in 1889 by Jonathan Coxon and XXXXX XXXXX and was an early producer of American Belleek porcelain. It became Lenox, Inc. in 1906. The Ceramic Art Company had painting competitions to decide who they would hire to hand paint their wares. Each competition bowl has a very rare Ceramic Art Company Competition Back Stamp on it. There are very few of these bowls and they are extremely rare. One of these bowls has recently sold at an online auction on Sept 2013 for $245.00 plus shipping. Previously it was listed for $275.00 but did not sell. The fair market value is defined as the price agreed upon between a knowledgeable and willing buyer and seller. The result of this auction gives us the current fair market value of your piece .The market is soft at this time. It is not a good time to sell. I would hang on to it for awhile longer until the economy shows more improvement. Thank you for your most interesting question. It was a pleasure. If you would like any further assistance please ask. Cheers! Tim

Customer: Thank you!
Experience: Certified Fine Art Appraiser, MA, member of ANA, CFAA