Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have a curious piece that is marked Jas H. Stimpson 1855

I have a curious piece that is marked Jas H. Stimpson 1855 Baltimore MD. I am thinking it may be a butter keeper, because it has an upper chamber and the lid to the chamber has a cow on top. The front has 2 hinged doors. A round dish is attached to the left door. Can someone tell me what this might be?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

.

This is actually called a Butter Cooler, it was created by Jas H. Stimpson 1855 Baltimore MD patented - Patent No. 12,876, dated May`15, 1855.

.

To view the answer, you will need to be logged into the web site from your computer. you cannot respond or send messages to the expert via emails.

The Silver Plated Butter Cooler has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $250.00-400.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country. Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities.

If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from. You can sell in your local area or a larger city near you with Craigslist, it is free, and when they item sells the buyer picks it up.

You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! Keep in mind if you sell to a dealer or antique or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.

If there is anything further you need to know regarding your question please feel free communicating this to me ( with reply to expert button ) any problem can be resolved. A satisfactory rating ( one of the top two ) allows me to be credited for my time answering your question. I always do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, use the specific ask for expert function. Then just put my name ( Glenda )at the beginning of your question.

Please consider doing the survey when you get it in email, ( this impacts my job ) please consider that the rating is for my Professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any values that are not as high as expected. ( which I have no control over ).

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much!

Glenda

.

Keep in mind there are a Multitude of Categories to serve you, from Legal to Pets and everything in between.

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.