AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I am looking to sell complete place settings of Myott Son &

I am looking to sell complete place settings of Myott Son & Co "Bermuda" dishes. I am just starting to gather information on value and delivery. Any advice would be appreciated.

AppraiserJM :

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help. What color of Bermuda do you have? I understand it comes in black, blue, brown multicolor, green, orange, and pink.

Customer:

Blue.

AppraiserJM :

OK, let me check the resale on the Myott Bermuda Blue place settings.

AppraiserJM :

Are the place settings dinner plate, salad plate, bowl, cup, and saucer? Or a different configuration?

Customer:

I have not unpacked them since my sister sent them to me but I understand it is as you described.

AppraiserJM :

I have not found any complete place settings—which is in your favor, of course. Extrapolating from other Myott patterns from the 60s, I would estimate the retail selling price for a full place setting (5 pieces) to be approximately $80.00. Serving pieces are more, in the range of $30.00 to $200.00 per piece, depending on what it is.

Of course resale is less than retail from a dealer. So if you sold it at a direct-to-buyer venue like eBay, you’d most likely be able to achieve $60.00 or so, per setting. The difficulty there is that it would be hard to find a single buyer for the whole set, and the more pieces in the set, the more the price per piece tends to go down. So you’d either have to take a lower price for the whole set, or sell the settings/pieces one by one, which is time-consuming, complicates shipping, and incurs more fees.

Another option is to contact Replacements.com and ask for a bid for the whole set. (You’d need to give them a complete inventory.) Then you would have the option of having the entire set packed and shipped to one place. I’m not sure what their pay rate is at the moment, but I would expect about 50% of the retail price, or about $40.00 per setting. http://www.replacements.com/misc/selltous.htm

Before that, you might want to try putting an ad on eBay local, or Craigslist, just to see what happens. If you can find a local buyer at a reasonable price. That would avoid the shipping issue.

Overall, you would want to ask for $40.00 - $80.00 per place setting, and an average of $40.00 or $50.00 per serving piece, with the willingness to negotiate lower for someone to buy the whole set.

Customer:

Last question. I was just looking for a one time answer, is there any action I need to take to not have ongoing charges?

AppraiserJM :

Please ask any questions you wish! That's what I'm here for! But do you mean ongoing charges here at JustAnswer? For that, you need to check with Customer Service. I'm a subcontractor and I'm happy to help you with all your appraisal questions...but frankly I don't know how the billing or the site mechanics work.

I am glad I was able to help you with your appraisal question. Thank you for your feedback. Please feel free to bring me any new appraisal questions--I really enjoy researching the unique and unusual items that people discover!

If you ever need me to do another appraisal, make sure you also put Jennifer or AppraiserJM in the subject line of your request to make sure it finds its way to my inbox.