Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a matching , nesting bowl set of IMARI porcelain, excellent

I have a matching , nesting bowl set of IMARI porcelain, excellent contition (no cips, cracks, repairs), 8 3/4x3 1/4, 7 1/4x2 1/2, 6x2 (appx), beautiful pink floral design (shades of pink), gold gilting throughout (gold pattern on inside lip and gold floral pattern on bottom of bowls. Bottoms are stamped GOLD IMAGI, (Japanese symbol), Hand Painted...This set was left in an old home I bought in Washington, D.C., over 15 years ago.

I would like to determine the value of this set in order to put them on the market. Your assistance is appreciated. I have photos I can send if required. Sarah Griego (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Hi Sarah,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help with your beautiful Imari bowls.

Thanks for the excellent photo. I can see exactly what you have. This is lovely old Japanese translucent white Seto porcelain. Could you very kindly attach a photo of the design on the sides and also the mark on the base so I can confirm the age for you and then I'll give you a full answer and value.

Here's a REALLY simple way of attaching additional photos (three clicks and a copy and paste and you are done).

Go to

(no need to 'log in' or 'register' it makes it far too complicated)

Click on Computer

Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you. It will look similar to this and it's located right under where it says Link (email & IM) and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Got on to imgur, selected photos for opening,can't seem to initiate download of photos....any other suggestions....? Thanks. Sarah

I'm sorry you are having difficulties with Imgur. Not sure why that is.

Here's another equally easy-to-use free public picture hosting site that may be better for you.

Go to Click on choose file

(it will then automatically pull up your picture files).

Select the image you want to send me and click open

Return to the tiny pic page and click Upload Now

Answer the little anti-spam puzzle

and it brings you to a bunch of links.

Click on the one under URL for E-Mail & IM

Click on the link to make it turn black,

right click, and hit copy

Then paste to where you are typing to me.

Let me know if you are still having problems and I'll give you "Plan C"

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to have worked quickly......Sarah

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Appears that only ONE photo was's a view of the floral design......perhaps they all (7) showed up, I couldn't retrieve what was uploaded....let me know...appreciate your help. Sarah

Thanks so much.

I got these two:

which is perfect, and all I need.

Now that I see the mark, these are not as old as I first suspected, and date to the 1960s or 1970s.

This "GOLD IMARI" trade name on Japanese export porcelain was first registered in the US on the 1st of December 1959. The company was Arita Bussan Co., Ltd. Corp. Japan No. 8, 3-Chrome Iida-Machi, Higashi-Ku, Nahoya, Japan.

They are no longer trading under this name, by October 29, 1984, the brand had been abandoned.

The Japanese kanji character is 有

meaning "Yes" but can also mean "possess; have; exist; happen; occur",

so take your pick!

The bowls are nicely enameled with a combination of printed designs and hand painting and the diaper brocade border and gold trim are beautifully done.

Sadly, Japanese Arita Imari from this era is rather unappreciated by collectors at the moment and values reflect that.

If you were to sell the set at auction, or on line, they would fetch in the range of $120 - $180 for the set. They therefore have a retail or replacement value of $360 and is what you should insure them for.

I do hope this helps! And thanks for all your perseverance with the photos.

Please let me know if you would like any further information on this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,