Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

would a Paul Storr sauce tureen of 1819 , highly ornate and

would a Paul Storr sauce tureen of 1819 , highly ornate and in excellent condition , be a good investment at $6600 ?

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am pleased to assist you tonight. Honestly, the market for an item such as you describe generally is estimated from $4,000 to $6,000 but the last example (actually a bit earlier, 1809) sold last year at Christie's, New York, for $4,000.

Long term, any signed George III era piece of fine quality will certainly appreciate well but I honestly feel you are paying right at top end retail--it is not an unfair price, but if you could get into it for up to $5,000 it would be a better investment, in my professional opinion.

Please let me know if I may assist you further in any manner, and if you need me in the future, just put my name at the beginning of your posted question.

Please take a moment to rate my answer and complete any surveys sent, as that is how experts on the site are evaluated for performance.

If I can help you in any way on this topic, please just ask.

Have a blessed day!

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is an image of the actual article. As you can see it is particularly ornate and highly worked and has a mass of nearly 1.5 kg so a very substantial piece .Would this not increase its value beyond the $6000 mark ?

It is truly a beautiful piece, Anthony...and of course, as with any antique, beauty is often in the eye of the beholder!

Based on your input, it contains about 53 ounces of sterling silver, which has a current value of around $966 in pure silver (pure .999 fine silver today is $21.62 per ounce) so that clearly is not the factor considered.

The artisan is well documented as a quality maker and the quality and condition is exceptional, so the price is not TERRIBLY off base--all I can honestly do is advise you of previous open market sales and note the trends--the earlier example was not as elaborate as yours--and I would recommend the purchase at up to $6,000 after seeing an image of it. If silver were to go back up to $40 an ounce, the silver content would increase proportionally but again, not enough in raw value to offset the price--the ultimate decision has to be yours.

It is difficult to anticipate where any market will go, unfortunately, and all I can do is state that the piece is exquisit--but I personally feel that in an open auction setting, you could likely purchase the item for less than the asking price. There is generally always a strong offering of similar era pieces on the open market, in both shops and auction houses, and you should be aware that many of the pieces offered in shops came from auctions which are open to the public and dealers alike.

The price is NOT unreasonable, but perhaps you could negotiate a bit with the seller--that is what I would do. With the internet at your fingertips, any auction in the entire world is at your leisure to attend--and they ALL ship worldwide as well.

Hope you understand my reasoning, and also that I only work for YOUR benefit at this point in time, not that of the seller.

With kind regards,

Steve