Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

Brown & Sharpe Bressant and Taperng Hair clippers,

I have a set of Brown & Sharpe Bressant and Taperng Hair clippers, with instructions and repair tag included. The were my late husband's grandfather's that he used himself at home. They are not in the original box but I believe it's a complete set (with individual tapering shields). I am not looking to sell them, but would like to have a general appraisal of potential value, to determine if I need to keep storing them in my safe deposit box. Any assistance would be appreciated.

The stamped date on the clipper handle "appears" to be Dec, 07, 1925. I also have what looks to be UNUSED set of replacement blades for this clipper.In closer inspection on other items in same box, I believe I have a separate maker (German) on a smaller pair of clippers in the mix. I would need more assistance in confirming other parts of the Brook & Sharpe items.

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 12 months ago.
Hello and Welcome,
My name isXXXXX am a Personal Property Appraiser and would be happy to assist you with your question.
Brown and Sharpe had their beginnings in the 1830's in Providence, RI and became known as Brown and Sharpe in 1853. The produced mostly interchangeable machine parts in the 19th century before the moved into the production of domestic and automotive parts in the early 20th century.
From my research it appears they started making the manual clippers around 1900. Your 1925 manual Brown and Sharpe Bressant and Tapering Clippers would have a current market value of between 15-30 dollars based on the overall condition.
If there is any rust or damage to the clippers, this would detract from the value. The replacement blades usually run between 2-10 dollars based on the condition.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
I hope this information was helpful to you today,
Best of luck with your vintage hair trimmers,
Any feedback you can leave for my service would be much appreciated,
Thank You,
Frank
Please let me know if you have any difficulties with our rating system.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It is very good to know. I will be looking for information on the other items in the box, but I do appreciate knowing more about them. I am a history fan, so these will remain where they are, regardless of monetary value. I appreciate your quick response.

Expert:  Frank replied 12 months ago.
You are very welcome Debra,
If I can be of any further assistance you can request me by name in any of the inquiries you have and I can get right to work on any pieces you may need evaluated.
Have a great day,
Frank
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

thank you again --- now I just have to see if I can get my eyes to clearly read the information inscribed on the other items..Would the keen edge shear also be a Brown & Sharpe Product? it has a number 470 on it, but I cannot read anymore... ( just signed up for the free trial, so you may hear from me a lot now!)

Expert:  Frank replied 12 months ago.
Hello Debra,
I think that the Keen Edge is actually an Italian Company that produced shears and scissors in the early 20th century.
Thanks again for any feedback you can leave for my service,
Frank
Experience: Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.