Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.

Im looking for some basic information and a retail store value

I'm looking for some basic information and a retail store value on an antique doll that looks sort of like a Revolutionary soldier. The doll stands about 19 inches tall to the crown of the head (with hair attached). The tricorn hat makes it a fraction taller. He measures about 9 inches wide from outside cuff to outside cuff. Taken off the pole mount, he weighs about 2 pounds, 2 ounces. It appears to my untrained eye that the mount was added later and that the doll itself is older. The gentleman this doll belongs to has had it for a long time, thought it was more than 100 years old if not older, but has had it so long that he didn't remember the origin. I attach a link to photos on a flickr page here:

Hello again! Hope you are doing well and I see you are still finding rather unique goodies! You have a French semi-paste (plaster wrap) doll made to resemble a gentleman from the early to mid 17th century--with a bit of "literary license" employed on the aspects of clothing and weaponry--more akin to the era of the "Three Musketeers". Most of the components appear to be no earlier than around 1920, however. The hair is likely real, by the way--again, an indication of French origins.

The character could be fictional or representative of a particular individual--difficult to tell as again, the styles are a bit mixed and not era-specific enough to pin it down.

As a curiosity and based on the size, the typical retail would be from $250 to $400 in most markets. Male doll forms are far more rare than the female counterparts, by the way, so it would do well in an advertised sale situation. The mount is newer than the doll form, as you suspect. That should not affect your value range in any manner.

If I can be of further assistance on this topic in any manner, please just ask--my goal is to provide accurate and prompt information back to you in a professional manner.

Anytime I can help you out on any other topic, just let me know--you can request me by simply putting my name at the beginning of a posted question.

Please take a minute to rate my answer and fill out any surveys the site sends to you as that is how we are evaluated for service and also compensated for our time and effort.

Have a blessed day!

With kind regards,