Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
57035021

I have some antique miniature paintings and 2 small plaques

I have some antique miniature paintings and 2 small plaques dated 1859 and 1860. Would you be able to give me some information about them? Thank you
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jennifer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with this question.

First, I need some more information from you.

How many paintings are there? Are there any signatures? Please upload clear pictures of the paintings and plaques, and the backs of them. If there are signatures, please include clear pictures of those.

Here is some help with uploading pictures:

You can use the paper clip icon or the tree icon at the top of your answer box.

Or:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".
2. Double click the image you want to upload.
3. Click "Start Upload".
4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

If that doesn't work for you:

You can email the pictures toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, and ask them to forward the pictures to me. You must tell them the pictures are for the Antiques category, and give them your user name and mine, which is Judith-on-Antiques. It is important for you to send the email from the address with which you registered at Just Answer. If you are sending them from a phone, you must put the original email address in the text.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judith,
I emailed pictures toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX, please let me know if you receive them and if you need some clearer images. There are 17 miniatures and 2 plaques.
Many thanks,
Jennifer
HI Jennifer,
I'll get back to you as soon as I receive your pictures.
Hi Jennifer,
Your pictures have arrived. You have an assortment of items here. They all appear to be from the Victorian era - circa 1850 to circa 1900.

Aside from XXXXX XXXXX, are any of the subjects identifiable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Judith,

No, I don't know any of the subjects.

Jennifer

If these miniatures are hand painted and in excellent condition, their current retail (replacement or insurance) value is approximately $350 each. The one of XXXXX XXXXX is worth a bit more, perhaps $450. The two cameo portraits look as if they are lava, and may be depictions of Julius Caesar and Brutus. If they are in excellent condition, their retail value is approximately $600 for the pair.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Jennifer. My goal is to provide you with absolutely excellent service, so please be sure to let me know if you have any additional questions about your miniatures or want to follow up if you haven’t gotten the information you need.

When you are satisfied with my answer I would appreciate your positive rating. That is the way I am paid for my work. There is no additional cost for this.

A rating of one of the smiley faces (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answer your question, then I am compensated for my time, at no additional cost to you.

Your rating is important and should be based on my service. Please do not leave a "poor" rating because the value is lower than your expectations. I truly value your feedback. Come back soon and ask for me! Thanks for using Just Answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Judith,
Thanks for your reply. I assume that the miniatures are all hand painted - is there a way I can know for sure. Also a couple of them seem to be on porcelain, the one of the baby and in the first image the young man on the bottom right. Re. the two cameo portraits - one is in pretty good condition , the other has a small chip on the nose. Could you make out the signature on the cameos I can read the dates but the signature looks like Fina.
Thank you for your quick response yesterday, it would be helpful to have a little more clarification.
Jennifer
Hi Jennifer,
To find out if the miniatures are hand painted, look at them with some magnification. You should be able to see brush strokes.

Paintings on porcelain were very popular during the Victorian era, and it's even possible that the portrait of the baby is a post mortem portrait. So sad - for many parents, this would be the only image they had of their dead child.

The chip on the nose of one of the cameos will devalue it by half. So, the perfect one is worth $300 and the chipped one, $150. Sad, but true. Yes, I could see the signature. It was most likely an Italian craftsman.
Experience: A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
Thanks for your positive rating, Jennifer!
Hi Jennifer,
If you have additional items you want to know about, I'd be happy to help you with those.

If you want me to answer your questions, all you need to do is use my name, Judith, as the first word of each question.
Best regards,
Judith-on-Antiques