Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I need GLENDA B.s help with QUESTION TWO, please! This

I need GLENDA B.'s help with QUESTION TWO, please!

This is for the value, as we have been doing!

Glenda here is description of an 1840 abalone inlay, hand-painted English tilt-top table which was just delivered to our home yesterday -- see attempted ATTACHED PHOTO:

1. A Victorian Paint Decorated Abalone Inlaid Tilt-top Table, English

C.1840 period English papier mache tilt top table with paint decoration and abalone inlay. Directly out of the estate of a former antiques dealer who imported antiques from England.

Condition: minor chipping to extremities. Normal amounts of wear from use. Slight looseness to top at hinge. Slight tilt of top when in upright position.

Measurements: 27″H x 24″W x 20″D (in flat position)
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional, Glenda, a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Best,

Angela
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much, I hope she will be on today and tomorrow. We have been working together, but I became ill and am just back on. Appreciate very much the communication!

Jo/Joliet

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joliet,

I am sorry to hear you were ill! I hope you are feeling better. I had some personal things to take care of today but, I am back now! This table is Gorgeous! Does it have a makers name on the bottom by any chance?

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is the hard part, Glenda, we see nothing...there was an antiques dealer in NYC area who had many antiques shipped to the USA from England, he apparently went on buying trips across the pond. This piece was in his personal collection in HIS home! What I DID find was OLD off-white paint with a number 639 on the back of the table top, and it is also painted on the edge of the top-most tilt-top bracket edge, where it is fastened to the table top. We don't know if that was the artisan's number or the number of that one made in a large turnout in the 1840 year. The entire piece is SO light in wgt...all papier mache except for three metal feet, the OLD spring-latch workings where it latches into upright position...seems SO fragile, yet it is in-tact and definitely not falling apart! I DID find a similar one online, in FL, online at 1stdibs, asking $950, SAYS mother-of-pearl, but our NJ dealer says it is inlaid abalone! And we definitely did not pay $950, even with the transport from NJ! Entire piece is hand-painted/hand-crafted.

We JUST turned it over again, so light wgt, but we checked it together, and there is just nothing else, other than that VERY VERY old off-white painted number 639 on both pieces. If it had any sort of mark/paper glued on, it is long gone since 1840. I would LOVE to know more on this beautiful 'gal'! :)

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX we are reconnected!

Jo/Joliet

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joliet,

.

These Antique Paper Mache Tilt Top Tables, Hand Painted with Abalone Inlay are quite expensive. I believe the number on the bottom is an inventory number, most likely put there by one of the many owners, not from the original maker.

The An antique Paper Mache tilt top table,Oval top with a Serpentine Edge, footed base with a Turned Pedestal. Painted black with hand painted sprays of vines and flowers on the top and base, accented with gold and abalone shell inlay, has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $2200.00-2500.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. )

.

A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answer your question, then I am compensated for my time, at no additional cost to the you I always do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

When you get the survey in email please respond, ( this impacts my job ) and please consider that the rating is for my professionalism and courteousness to the customer. I am not responsible for any issues with the site, or any values that are not as high as expected. ( which I cannot control ). Thank you so much!

If you would like to work with me on more questions you might have, request me then just put my name ( Glenda ) in your question, then I will be sure to get it. This way it ensures I receive this, since just a request can expire after awhile.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much,

Glenda

.

Keep in mind Just Answer has a Multitude of Categories to serve you, from Legal to Pets and everything in between.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

accented with gold, this is just a gold 'paint' from 1840, right?...per valuing this piece? I don't know if it would be goldleaf or just a paint back then...yes, I wondered as well about it being an inventory number from one of many sales! Would it be a separate question to ask about the potential artisans in England who were known to make these 'back in the English day'?! I would imagine it would be, as it would be quite a cool 'journey' to research this into English art history, I would imagine! So if you can just answer per the valuation question abut the gold painting on this, that would be great. If this is goldleaf, I don't know how I would be able to tell in order to convey this info to you. This is great to know this much, Glenda!!!! Whatever you can answer, or if another separate question is required on the origin question, just let me know and the PLEASE resend the smiley faces for your rating!!! I do NOT want to forget that for you! :)

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Joliet,

.

The Accented with Gold would be Gold Paint, they would take gold dust, mixed with paints to achieve the gold paint, so even though companies advertised as Gold Paint or 24kt Gold Trim, it is actually as minor amount from the dust of gold! Gold Guilt was actually sheets of very thin Gold, but it too was mixed with something. They still do both today.

I think you might research this from now on and not find who painted these. There were many young women who did this type of painting, it was part of becoming a woman, they learned to sew, embroider, china paint and Tolle Paint. So I am not sure how you would ever find who painted this or any of them, so many were done by individual women. Most of these tables actually belonged to private homes. There were some that were commissioned to be painted by companies, and there were some that companies made the tables then hired young artists to paint them for them, never giving them the credit. But, there could possibly books at the library in the Art History Department on painted furniture.

.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free letting me know. If there is a problem with my answer please feel free communicating this to me ( with reply to expert button )any problem can be resolved.

Thank you so much,

Glenda

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I rate now or wait re the other valuation/screen piece? THANK YOU re the gold paint and how young ladies did this! I had NO IDEA it was young women doing this work! WOW! I will watch for books on this sort of thing...we have a lot of resource in our area. Let me know if I need to wait on the screen question, the piece also delivered with the table just yesterday out of NJ! I don't want to 'close the door' prematurely again! I think I just did on the English Old Oak Barrel/Dickens 1908 item of Question THREE! UGH! This gets tangled while I'm working on putting together Question FOUR and we are choosing Question FIVE, we think we've decided.

Thank you for the clarification, if we are not doing 2 please let me know, and please resend the rating!! :)

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joliet

.

I did not see a question about a screen, I did see the picture of it. This was the question...

.

But, if you can tell me about the screen since I have seen it, I will do it on this one, so we do not have to worry about a new question for it.. I also saw an image for a porcelain piece I think, when you ask the next question add it to that...

.

What size is the screen, I can see it is Mahogany!

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, dear, the question re the vintage mahogany fire screen I THINK went over only with the photos...let me pull it from the soft file here in inbox...I'm endeavoring to stay ORGANIZED with all our back and forth! LOL! I also sent a second part, separately via pear, about a Royal Doulton Dickens "Mr. Micawber" bowl with the Old English Oak Biscuit Canister, and again I think as with this one, it went to pearl only!

First, I will get the Fire Screen description copied/pasted here for you!

There were many good visual details and it went via pearl with 4 photos...here is the description that went with the photos--my APOLOGIES for this confusion, Glenda!!

second item in QUESTION TWO:

Hi, Glenda B.!

Here is the other info for QUESTION TWO with photos to determine the VALUE — JUST DELIVERED to our home yesterday!…description follows here — beautiful!

We are guessing this is at least 55+years old, as it has a bigger display frame and overall size than the mahogany fire screen sold by the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in 1976!!!

A Vintage Mahogany Pole Screen Firescreen for Needlework Display
Directly out of an estate collection that had many pieces of fine antique American furniture.

Unmarked, but of a high quality. Ideal for the display of your own needlework.

Adjustable screen.
Condition: Some scratches to the pole from the mounting screw. Some discoloration to the linen liner, but this will be covered when needlework is installed. No odor, just minor staining.

Measurements: 54″H x 22″W, Screen portion where needlepoint will be displayed: 25″H x 19-1/2″W

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Joliet,

.

Here is how that works , when you send pictures via pearl, you need only send the pictures! Not descriptions no question. They go to a customer service then to the moderators then forwarded to us, they only part they forward to us are the pictures themselves, we never get to see the emails at all! So from now on, just send pictures and put attention for Glenda B, tell them your user name and name, send from the same email address you have been using. But, when you send the actual question to me, include what is it and the description! We normally do one item per question for you I do not mind doing two per question.. So I would do this... Send me the question tell me what you have , then email the pictures, I will have the question when the pictures get to me! If this does not make sense let me know>

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, it does make sense! I think I started sending the emailed questions last week when the photos were not going over, and then I would lose all that was in the email as well!

Then I started to send both the photos AND the emailed info/descriptions to the question as a backup, LOL, NOT knowing the question/description details do not get to you via pearl...so this is truly my first realization that pearl never did sent you the info, just the photos!

I'm really normal....most of the time! LOL!

We are building up to a storm here, if I 'disappear' it could be to do with lightning/electric concerns, thought we are generally good to not lose it.

What shall I do re the Mr. Micawber/Dickens 1908 Royal Doulton 'second part' of question THREE that went with the Old Oak English Biscuit Barrel...I rated you with a big #1 smile and tipped at $4.00 and that closed the door! LOL! I am so sorry...bugger!

Let me know if I can still send the 1908 Dickens bowl description, you got the three detailed photos, an if it must be a separate question now that I've rated you, just let me know! ;)

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, here is what we can do to get this fixed.. tell me all about the screen and the Mr. Micawber/Dickens 1908 Royal Doulton here, I will do both of them here and this will all be on this one question...

Then we can start fresh, you send me a question with all the details, but only send images to Pearl! They will send them to me, I will then answer the question... then we should be good to go! It is a bit confusing at first but it will all work out!

Glenda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm getting embarrassed with this wacky faux pas!...I should be an 'old hand' at this, but several days away from it didn't help. My sugar levels are good, and I still have a brain...LOL! Still new to it, and I DID make that assumption while dealing with the Access Denied/photo failures last week. They DID send me emails and it seems cleared now!

APPRECIATE YOUR PATIENCE... :-}

Okaym I just sent/copied and pasted the description to you for the screen/mahogany in last message...I can see it above, but let me put it here as letter A., and the Dickens bowl will be B. below:

A. Fire Screen/Mahogany/no year, maker, need valuation:

"A Vintage Mahogany Pole Screen Firescreen for Needlework Display

"Unmarked, but of a high quality. Ideal for the display of your own needlework.

"Adjustable screen.

"Condition: Some scratches to the pole from the mounting screw. Some discoloration to the linen liner, but this will be covered when needlework is installed. No odor, just minor staining.

"Measurements: 54″H x 22″W, Screen portion where needlepoint will be displayed: 25″H x 19-1/2″W."

B. And now for Mr. Dickens' Mr. Micawber, 1908 Royal Doulton, copied/pasted from the pearl email:

"This piece was also in the woman antique dealer's personal collection!

"Here is rest of Question 3 info for VALUE…I do have the 1908 year on this one and it is signed (see back/PHOTO)!

"Royal Doulton Dickens Ware Bowl, Series d2974 1908, Mr Micawber England

"A series d3020 Royal Doulton Dickens Ware charger signed Noke, depicting Mr. Micawber. The d2974 series dates to 1908. This is coming directly out of an estate collection.

"6" diameter.

"Normal crazing from age, one very minor flea bite along rim." (GLENDA. B.!..I have not been able to FIND this 'few/SHOULD BE FLEA BITE!!!) bite', so small!:)

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joliet

.

Do not be embarrassed in the least! You are fine, and doing quite well actually. It just takes a bit to adjust and find how it all works! Take a Deep Breathe!

These Blank ones are hard to find, most of them have the Needle Point Work already on them. The Blank ones seem to be selling for an average of " A Vintage Mahogany Pole Screen Fire screen for Needlework Display" - $350.00-400.00.

.

Royal Doulton Dickens Ware Bowl, Series d2974 1908, Mr Micawber England -$45.00-48.50. Yes, I call them very small flea bites!

.

Wilkins Micawber is a fictional character from Charles Dickens's 1850 novel, David Copperfield. He was modelled on Dickens's father, John Dickens, who like Micawber was incarcerated in debtors' prison (the King's Bench Prison) after failing to meet his creditors' demands.

Micawber's long-suffering wife, Emma, stands by him despite his financial exigencies that force her to pawn all of her family's heirlooms.

Micawber is hired as a clerk by the scheming Uriah Heep, who assumes wrongly that Micawber's debts arise from his dishonesty. But working for Heep allows Micawber to expose his boss as a forger and a cheat. To start anew, Micawber and his family emigrate to Australia with Daniel Peggotty and Little Em'ly, where Micawber becomes manager of the Port Middlebay Bank and a successful government magistrate.

In Hablot Knight Browne's illustrations for the first edition, Micawber is shown wearing knee-breeches, a top hat, and a monocle.

.

Thank you so much,

Glenda

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

YES! This firescreen was VERY hard to find! They are all SUPPOSED to be changeable to vary your displays...This one seemed great, just arrived yesterday, NEVER had anything like this delivered before, and always wanted one since 1979! Finally, the 'adoption' is complete! GLENDA B., got it for just $149 plus a combined shipping cost for the tilt-top table to be transported out of NJ...NOT BAD!

I thank you so much for your help here...oh, got the bowl for $40.00...I STILL cannot find the flea bite...in fact, the same seller said it was totally free of any imperfection and the description did not fit...he sells a lot of pieces and I simply do NOT find the flea bite...and I'm very detailed!

I will send over something silver and something brass in QUESTION FOUR to you, I need to leave the computer for my back at the moment, yes, in our 50s all the parts are wearing out! :-D

THANK YOU for your help. I believe for Question FIVE I'll need my husband's help with the upload with a camera here, and I'll send photos of two different rocking chairs via pearl, but I'll put the two questions in the QUESTION box and attach ONE photo there of one of the two rockers!

THANK YOU for taking two items per question, and thanks for your patience! Will send the silver item and the brass a bit later. If you need to be off, the answers for Questions Four and Five tomorrow will be fine...but I do want to get the silver and brass Question FOUR over to you yet this evening, in a little while...I just need a back break...LOL!...versus a back brake! :-)

Thanks again, GLENDA B.!

Jo/Joliet