Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser

Judith on Antiques,

southern crossJudith on Antiques, Hello! It's been a while. I have a couple of items to ask about. The first is a Southern Cross of Honor, marked United Daughters Confederacy, To the U.C.V. on the back it is marked Patented Charles W. Crankshaw Atlanta. The second item I believe was used to fasten shoe loops. The third item is a mystery. I don't know what it is. It is metal, about three inches long, hollow inside with two holes on one side. Can you identify it? I will upload pics. Can you give me any idea of the price these items would go for?

Category: Antiques
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 9 months ago.
Hi, I'm Josie and I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 9 months ago.
Hi!
Just on my way out the door. Nice to hear from you again. I'll pick this up later in the day, if that's okay with you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Not a problem!

Thanks, Chris! I'm back now.

The Southern Cross of Honor was a medal awarded to Confederate Civil War veterans. It was conceived and designed by two lies, Mrs. Alexander Erwin, and Mrs. Sarah Gabbett. They got a copyright on February, 1900 and Ms. Erwin's husband was the first recipient in April, 1900.

If you are planning to sell this, an appropriate price would be approximately $250.

The second item is a button hook, used to lace up high button shoes and boots. It is an advertising piece for the JC Jensen shoe company, who probably gave them out free with each purchase of a pair of shoes. It appears to be an alloy of base metals and should sell for $5 - $10.

Your last piece is a mystery to me too! Undecided It appears to be a part of something, and the two holes are for attaching it where it belongs. It could be the tip of a drumstick or other instrument. In any case, I don't think it has any resale value, since it is not a complete object.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Chris. My goal is to provide you with absolutely excellent service, so please be sure to let me know if you have any additional questions about these items or want to follow up if you haven’t gotten the information you need.

When you are satisfied with my answer I would appreciate your positive rating. That is the way I am paid for my work. There is no additional cost for this.

A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces (then clicking submit ) lets JustAnswer/Pearl know I did answer your question, then I am compensated for my time, at no additional cost to you.

Your rating is important and should be based on my service. Please do not leave a "poor" rating because the value is lower than your expectations. I truly value your feedback. Come back soon and ask for me! Thanks for using Just Answer!

Experience: A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President of the Association of Online Appraiser
Thanks for your positive rating, Chris!