ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 1956 Melbourne

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 1956 Melbourne Olympic Torch. I'm curious how many were used & what it is worth?
Thank you for the question! It would be my pleasure to assist you.

According to several auction listings, 400 of these 1956 Olympic torches were produced. In an 02/03/2012 online auction of JUST THE BOWL, the incomplete torch realized $3,500.

A 03/21/2011 auction of a complete torch realized just over $12,000 which provides a basis value for yours. Another sold for in an 08/13/2009 auction for $14,500.

For more on the history of these fascinating (and valuable) items, see: http://olympic-museum.de/torches/torch1956.htm

If this did not fully answer your question, let me know. My goal is to help you until you're entirely happy with the quality of my service.

Should this prove helpful, kindly rate my service positively. If not, let me know how I can provide more help. I understand that sometimes an item may be worth more or less than you expected; if you'd like further explanation of the market for a given item, please let me know and again, thank you!