Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I found a map of pre WW1 Europe in an old abandoned school

I found a map of pre WW1 Europe in an old abandoned school house when I was 11. My father built a frame and I have it to this day. I cannot figure out the manufacturer of this map and would like to know what it is worth. I am 56 now. Not much information I know but I thought I'd throw it to you. Thanks.

Will
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to see if I can help.

Does that say "W. & A.K. Johnston Limited" ?

Does it have anything else written on it? What size is it?

~Diana
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Diana.

Thanks for your help. The maps' size is 49"W X 41 1/2 " H. not including the 2" frame around it.

It does indeed say W.& A.K. Johnston Limited on it.

There is a "seal" from the Royal Geographic Estabishment-est. 1825.

Also a line that says Em Stationers Hall which seems to simply be a trademark registration i.e. "all right of reproduction reserved".

Beyond that there is only the legend in the l.h. corner.

Thanks again for any info you can impart.

Will Chopper

Hi Will

Thanks!

The Royal Geographic Establishment was created in 1825. Most records seem to come out of Scotland and cease after the turn of the century. It was entered and recorded at Stationer’s Hall, which is a sort of archives and registars. Williams Johnston was a printer in Scotland. He and his brother started their business in 1825. It was his brother’s idea to focus on maps because he was a collector and found most of what was currently out to be inaccurate at best. Until 1862 maps were their primary focus. They were so advanced that they actually created the first physical globe.

.

W & AK Johnston was your map maker. Their firm would have designed and printed it. They kept most of their designs and printing in-house so to speak.

The only downside to their maps is that they were so popular that they were pretty mass produced. Many were used in books, schools, offices, etc. Given the size, yours would have had this use too.

Yours looks slightly colorized, which would be a bit later of a map. They were hand colored. It should date to about 1870 or so. There looks to be very little damage on it. I just notice a few slight flaws near the bottom, but other than that it looks pretty good.

Based on my records and guides, it should have a current secondary market value estimated in the range of $125 to $175.

For selling, Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay. http://www.bonanza.com and http://www.artfire.com are pretty good up and coming online sites. Etsy has fantastic rates and really does well with historical items, like maps and you can sell worldwide.

Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great selling sites too, but do have higher fees.
.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

New Rating System, Explanation:

Please Rate Me Only, not the Website or the values I provide.

I am a appraiser who uses this site to answer questions for customers who come here. I do my very best to offer you the most current values using the latest guides and recorded sales and any information I can find for you.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me with at least 3 stars or 3 smileys and above. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile, please use the blue continue the conversation link instead - and tell me what else I can do for you to improve my rating.

You do not have to choose a rating in order to continue our conversation. You can just click the blue continue the conversation link if you want to reply to me.

My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep..

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.

.

Have a great day!

~Diana

Hi Will.

Thank you for the positive rating and the bonus. I really appreciate it.

Have a great weekend!

~Diana