Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

I have a Webster International Dictionary. With

I have a Webster International Dictionary.
With Supplement Of Additional Words & Meanings.
Australasian Edition
This is what is on the spine that looks like it may be leather. Have a few pages missing. Was wondering if it is worth restoring. Think it was printed 1900's
Jasmyne
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

I wish I had better news. Honestly, the cost to restore a book usually isn't worth it. It's usually done for rare prints or extremely old books such as those that were printed before mass printing methods were developed (pre-1800).

Noah Webster is still one of the biggest names in American Education. He was involved in everything from political theory to school books. Old dictionaries usually don't carry much value unless they're special editions. The Australasian edition is a bit unique. It first showed up in in the late 1800s (circa 1900). Based on the spine design, your copy likely dates to around 1905 to 1910.

Based on my records with antique and higher-end booksellers compared to actual recorded sales, it would have a secondary market value in the range of $250 to $350 for a copy in very good to excellent condition, which would also include a restored copy.

As is, the condition would likely grade as poor to fair and have a current secondary market value in the range of $50 to $65.

I really wish I could say it was worth more or could say it was worth restoring, but restoration typically cost anywhere from $100 and up. Given the cover is completely off, it would fall in one of the more costly jobs.

You may consider listing it someplace free like gumtree or trademe and list in the major cities, like Sydney. It's possible someone may want to pick it up and use it for a project like upscaling or something else.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

New Rating System, Explanation:

Please Rate Me Only, not the Website or the values I provide.

I am a appraiser who uses this site to answer questions for customers who come here. I do my very best to offer you the most current values using the latest guides and recorded sales and any information I can find for you.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me with at least 3 stars or 3 smileys and above. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile, please use the blue continue the conversation link instead - and tell me what else I can do for you to improve my rating.

You do not have to choose a rating in order to continue our conversation. You can just click the blue continue the conversation link if you want to reply to me.

My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep..

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.

.

Have a great day!

~Diana
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

DianaF

Thankyou for the information. I was wondering if you can recommend a restorer, someone around the Bundaberg area in Qld. I would like to keep it for my children and grandkids. As it is over 100 years old already.My grand kids proberly want even have books. Be all on computer.

Expert:  Diana F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jasmyne.

Wont' that be sad. I hate to imagine a world without books. Bookbinding is becoming a lost art.

There actually aren't many in Australia, especially Queensland.

Here's one you might contact.

http://www.sageold.com.au/
1166 Pomona Kin Kin Rd
KIN KIN
Queensland 4571
Australia

+61 (0)7 54 854 166

There is one in Sydney, which is a bit out of the way, but they do come recommended.

Antique Books
34 Clanville Road,
Roseville, Sydney, N.S.W. 2069, Australia.
Telephone: (02) 9416.9900
books@bookrestorations.com.au

There's one outside NewCastle, which I know is a drive, but you might be able to contact her.

Sarah Dare

82 Hospital Road

Dungog

NSW 2420

Australia

e: darebooks@googlemail.com

I hope one of these is a great link for you.

New Rating System, Explanation:

.

.

.

Have a great day!

~Diana
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.