Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

Looking for the value or china figurine made by handgemalt.

Looking for the value or china figurine made by handgemalt. It has the number 543 and2 engraved in it and also has y\the number 20 on it in green , the same as a crown like mark. It is a flute player and a harp player in victorian clothing. It was from my great grandma

treasurehunt :

Hi There~

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help with your question.

You have a handpainted most likely German or Bavarian made vintage, early 20th century musical figural in lacy porcelain. They are in 18th century fashion, (Rococo) not Victorian, which is 19th century,

Handgemalt translates to Handpainted in German. Most all handpainted porcelain from Germany would have this word printed on it by the maker. The Maker of your piece would be determined by the mark on the bottom, which I would have to see to make a match to the maker mark.

Would it be possible for you to send me photos of a clear, in-focus close-up of the mark? There are many German companies using a crown in their mark, so a visual match would be necessary.

Photos are free and easy:

The fastest and most successful method for sharing pictures is this:

Go to http://www.imgur.com.

1. Click "Computer".

2. Double click the image you want to upload.

3. Click "Start Upload".

4. When the image appears on your screen, just copy the link from that page and paste it on this page.

Sincerely,

Nora

treasurehunt :

The numbers are in-house company catalog numbers for the mold shapes. The other painted numbers are a code signature for which artist in the factory painted in the figurine.

treasurehunt :

Would you be able to provide a photo of the mark? If you did post one here, I am unable to view it. I do see the photo of the figure pair. Also what is the height/width please? ~Nora

treasurehunt :

Lace porcelain figurals can sell for $10 - hundreds of dollars, the value would be based on the maker.

treasurehunt :

Can you see the responses posted above?...if no, there is a scroll bar to the right that you can use to move up and down this board. ~Nora

Customer:

Nora, The

Full Size Image
height is about 4.25 by 4.25 width

treasurehunt :

Thanks for image. Looks to be the maker name is XXXXX XXXXX done in Dresden Germany.

treasurehunt :

Let me see if I can get you more info on this porcelain company.

Customer:

ok thanks

treasurehunt :

This was made by the Friedrich Wilhelm Wessel company from Frankenthal, Palatinate, Germany. This mark was used from 1951-1964. Here is a link where you can verify a match to your maker mark:

treasurehunt :

http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/rhineland/frankenthal_1/00.php

treasurehunt :

Average online auction price: $22 (I found an exact match) Retail Price: $45 Insurance Value: $75

Please only leave feedback when you feel satisfied your question has been answered.

Feel free if you have further questions on your vintage Frankenthal porcelain figural. Sincerely,

~Nora

treasurehunt :

Are you able to see your answer posted above?

Customer:

Thank You

treasurehunt :

My pleasure to help. In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here, I would really appreciate it.

Our conversation here will continue as long as you please, even after a rating is left.

Sincerely, Nora

Hi Jeff~

Thanks so much for the positive rating.

Much Appreciated.

~Nora