Southwb
Southwb, Estate Company Owner & Antique Dealer
Experience:  I have been in the estate liquidation and antique business for over 15 years.
65817006

I have a eagle wood cook stove made in Rome Ga. This stove

I have a eagle wood cook stove made in Rome Ga. This stove is cast iron and is painted blue I think from the company. The stove door has a wooden handle looks to be original and has decorative markings on the base. There is not a temperature gauge on the stove door. I cannot find any date on the stove except all the parts are stamped 18-8. I also need to locate the biscuit warmer and few other parts.  Any kind of information is greatly appreciated! Thank You Tina

Southwb :

Hello

Southwb :

IS there a manufactuer name on the stove?

Customer:

Yes. The Eagle foundry located in Rome Ga

Southwb :

Ok, so you have a cast iron wood burning stove made at the eagle ironworks. Eagle was well known for casting metal for other companies such as cookware for Wagner and Griswold. Can you tell me how many burners are on the stove and it is it painted with a blue or white enamel or just black.

Southwb :

or painted white?

Customer:

The stove has had 6 burners and unfortunately I only have 4 of the 6. The base is blue enamel and the stove door is white with EAGLE painted blue. The rest of the stove is black.

Southwb :

Ok so you probably have a lat3 1910s or early 1920s stove.

Southwb :

Just to be clear, do you want the value of it's current condition and restored condition as well?

Customer:

The stove is in excellant condition without any rust. I would love to know the value but most importantly I would like to find some parts for the stove the largest part being the biscuit warmer.

Southwb :

Basically on old cast iron stoves, the parts such as the burners were made to be universal so you can replace any such parts like that with burners made by Griswold who purchased metal products from foundries like Eagle and marketed them under their own name.

Southwb :

As far as bread warmers you can also interchange this part with that of another stove just so as you have the dimensions of the bread warmer box itself. You see many antique restorers use other company's compatible parts just because there may not be any original parts remaining in other stoves made by Eagle. The metal drive during WWII brought on the smelting of many stoves for use in artillery.

Southwb :

You could even use an ad on tin bread warmer as well. Eagle Stoves are quite rare as the foundery was only open a few years prior to being bought out by a larger metal works company which ultimately closed down in the late 1960s.

Southwb :

I estimate there is probably only 10 complete Eagle stoves and maybe a few hundred Eagle stoves with missing parts in the world- just because they did not make enough that would have survived in tact into today.

Southwb :

As far as value, a good fair market value on your stove currently would be $350-$500. Should you get the burners replaced then your stove would be worth $500-$800 as then it becomes a piece with a useful purpose. I would insure the stove for $1000 replacement value.

Southwb :

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX Accept and Have a Great Day!!!

Customer:

I realize I will possibly need to interchange parts to make the stove complete. Do you know of any dealers or even salvage yards that would carry different cast iron parts for wood cook stoves. I would even purchase a stove that was in poor condition to interchange the parts. And of course I have to be realistic I know finding a eagle wood stove would be very difficult.

Southwb :

I don't know if you are a member of the antique stove association or not, however they have great resources for collectors and dealers alike. http://www.antiquestoveassociation.org/

Southwb :

You many be able to find your stove here or find someone who has parts for it or another option may be to have it professionally restored like http://stovehospital.com/

Southwb :

The antique stove association though is pretty good I have been a member for 15+ years and that is how I sell stoves everytime I get one in.

Customer:

The stove hospital does not have any refurbished parts I have checked with them. I will contact the antique stove association tho. This could be a start. Thank You