Diane in PA
Diane in PA, Appraiser
Experience:  14 yrs. selling/researching antiques, art, books, jewelry +.

I asked this before and now have decided to do it. Did Ed

I asked this before and now have decided to do it. Did Ed Wiener ever sign his jewelry ED W? or EDW?

Hello, and welcome! My name isXXXXX'm happy to help you, but it is after 11 p.m. and I am just signing off for the night. I'll do some Ed Weiner research tomorrow, if that' OK?

Can I have your name so we can chat on a first name basis? Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My name is Carolyn.

Hi Carolyn. I will continue looking into this for you in the morning, ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Diane. Are you there today? Carolyn

Good morning, Carolyn. Yes, I'm here. In fact, I've been working on finding this mark for a while now. I haven't come up with much yet, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet, either. Wink Just give me a little more time. I will be with you shortly.

Carolyn, can you upload or send me a photo of the necklace so I can see the style of jewelry? Thanks!

Instructions to send me photos: (Take this one simple step at a time. Copy and paste these directions into MS Word and print them out if it is easier for you.)

"Per the "Just Answer" Web site policy, experts and customers are not permitted to share personal phone numbers or email address. When someone does, the site's system "censors" the addresses to read all "X's", so in order to upload pictures you would need to either upload them directly to this chat box... can email them as attachments to customer service, who in turn will forward them to me.

You can email them to:

[email protected]

If you use this method, please be SURE to type "PHOTOS FOR DIANE IN PA" into the "subject" line. Depending how busy the site is, it could take anywhere between an hour or up to a day for them to get them to me, but I will notify you when I receive them.

If you'd like to upload them to this message, here are the instructions:

1) At the top of this REPLY messages box (where you type your reply to me) is a "tiny green tree" icon (in some cases it might be a paperclip). Click on this icon.

2) A small window will pop up.

3) The first box will say “Image URL”.

4) Next to this box there is another small box that has a blue top along with red lines in it. You will want to click this box.

5) Another window will then pop up.

6) In this window you can attach the pictures. You will want the click the “Browse” button and then navigate to where you have the pictures saved on your computer, camera, or cell phone.

7) Select “open” and it will attach to the image upload box.

8) Click “OK”.

9) Next, your photo’s URL should be shown in the “Image URL” box on the first pop up.

10) Next, click "Insert" and your image is then attached for me to view!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Diane, For you information I have seen pictures of his gold jewelry that he signs EW 14K.

I am almost positive this is Ed Wiener, but you are the expert. I bought several pieces from a reliable Seller. A small ring and 4 pendants...this is one of them. All are marked Sterling and EDW. They are beautiful and incredibly well made. His Hallmark uses the same identical block lettering. Carolyn

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hope I am not bothering you but one more bit of information:

Thank you for the pics. Is the piece just a pendant? Small or large? Is it on a thin chain, or is the neck part and the pendant all one piece, connected to eachother? I'm trying to determine if the style fits Ed Weiner's. His stuff was pretty "artsy".

Do you live in the NY vicinity?

Below is a link with a short bio on Ed Weiner, and a few photos of his marks. I find it interesting how the capital "ED and W" are just like yours, but unfortunately, they're not all run together like yours. "Mr. Wiener worked largely in silver until the late 1950's when he branched out into new settings in gold and precious jewels, moving, as one critic put it, from craft into art."

There is a book on his jewelry that is available for sale for $30.00 - this may or may not have the information you're looking for, but there's always a possibility. If you look for it on Amazon, it's either sold out, or with a price of $158 for the same book.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Ring has the same dot type design as the image on the left you sent me.

The Necklace has a long projection at the top that attaches it to the pendant. It with the same type design at the top of the projection as the pendant.. The piece weighs 12.1 grams. With the projection it is 3-1/4" x 2".

I sent you the bio also. I had already looked that up under American Sterling Hallmarks.

Carolyn, I've hunted all over the place!! for another "EDW" mark, to no avail. Going by the style you described and the same block lettering, I have to conclude and agree with you, that there is a very high probability it would be an Ed Weiner piece. After all, it doesn't appear to be a mass-produced piece. His jewelry is hard to come by, and being there is not a lot of it floating around, many collectors may have never heard of him. I think his pieces would be more for the 'specialty' market, meaning I wouldn't try to sell it on eBay, etc. New York modernist jewelry collectors would have a great interest in it.

There is currently one of his pieces for sale on eBay, asking $2,750. _in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=281&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=10&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

The only completed sales I found over the last 3 months were:

A pendent: ($100)

and a sterling tie clip for $30:

Forgive me, Carolyn! When I searched eBay I spelled "Wiener" wrong. Back to looking for you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A better Picture:

Carolyn, my final personal and professional opinion is that the EDW sterling mark fits as Ed Wiener pieces. I would like to leave you with a good lead, in case you decide to sell.

The following site says that they are always looking for jewelry by Ed Wiener jewelry. They might be able to confirm or deny the EDW mark for you: (scroll down to view the Wiener pieces:

Check out these sales: Smile

http://www.ebay.c om/itm/RAREST-1947-ED-WIENER-MODERNIST-MARTHA-GRAHAM-DANCER-STERLING-SILVER-BROOCH-PIN-/271108964154?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D3711883970996516382%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D251169093551%26
________________________ Signed-Cuff-Bracelet-ED-WIENER-/330788759110?item=330788759110&ViewItem=&category=165072&nma=true&si=Fyg6C7ZEDrzwDWIWfwwgRzYlgdA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank you for sharing this, Carolyn. I hope I provided you with excellent service.

If so, kindly rate me by clicking a smiley face.

Otherwise, if you still need help or have questions, just reply to this message again.

I wish you the best with this. Have a super Sunday. Laughing

- "Diane in PA"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I believe you did the best you could with the information available. I am sorry we were not able to absolutely authenticate the EDW Mark.

As for the McDonald book for $30.00....I have been to that site numerous times...the book originally sold for $ is not for sale for that price now....the $100+ rate is closer to the mark.

Aw, too bad! (the book) They shouldn't be advertising $30 then. Yes, I did put a lot of time into the EDW, but didn't find any others with that marking. NOR any other companies/silversmiths, etc. with that marking, so it's highly likely it goes back to Ed. A true Ed Wiener collector might know, but I'm almost positive it's his. Smile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you,

You're welcome. Happiest of holidays!