Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

Old Royal Bonn 1735 Clock

Please assign to Bishop King unless he is out for more than a day. Hi - you have been so helpful in the past - I am going to send you a series of questions about antiques my dad has that we cannot locate. I'll be happy to tip you for your help! Some of these have no markings - I will try to send you everything I know along with good pictures. First one is the attached clock. It is marked Royal Bonn 1735. "La Roda." I am attaching a copy of the mark. The face does have a little damage. It is extremely heavy. It is approx. 11" tall by 8" at the widest.  Please provide a value for this item. Thank you!!

Robert (Bishop King) usually checks in at least once a day. I'll forward this to him so he'll make sure to see it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is fine - we are in no hurry. Thank you!!

Hello Mary! And thank you Diana for forwarding.

I would be happy to tell you about this wonderful mantel clock, and any other
items in your father's collection. Thank you for asking me!

Let's start with the clock case. I love the little handpainted landscape with the watermill and the rushing millrace, the perfect visual metaphor for the unstoppable flow of time. It's also a refreshing change from the usual floral decoration one sees on these.

It was made by a celebrated German art pottery company called Poppelsdorf or F.A Mehlem in honor of the father (Franz Anton Mehlem and hence those initials F.A.M in the monogram under the crown) of the two founding brothers Paul & Everard Mehlem. The factory was located at Poppelsdorf/Bonn in Westphalia near the famous clay pits of the Saar Valley.

The Mehlem brothers production began in 1840 out of the bones of a much older factory that had existed from the eighteenth century and that was sponsored by the local nobility, the "prince elector" of Cologne, one, Clemens August von Köln.

Indeed, the word "Royal" was added to the backstamp in the year 1890 as a tenuous acknowledgment (not to mention deliberate marketing ploy) of the royal sponsorship that had ceased over a hundred years before.

Many collectors today actually refer to the factory as Royal Bonn.

The 'Royal' was finally removed when Villeroy & Boch bought them out when they fell on hard times after World War I,

This version of the mark, without the word 'Germany' dates to the period 1890 - 1900 which was the peak of their artistic success. So your clock is at least one hundred and twelve years old!

The phrase La Roda is the name of the rococo shape and design of the case.

The clock itself is almost certainly Ansonia. Royal Bonn made cases for The Ansonia Clock Company of Connecticut for many years from the 1880s onwards.

If you were to sell this clock at auction or on line it would fetch in the range of $450 - $650.

It has a retail or replacement value of $1300 and is what you should insure it for.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know if you would like further assistance with this, I would be glad to do so.

Best wishes, and Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you have a very peaceful and enjoyable holiday.

PS If you put my name, Robert, or The_Bishop_King in the subject line of each question you would like me to answer I should see it immediately and if I don't I will always get an email notification. Thanks! R

Experience: Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.