Will, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  30+ Years expertise in antiques and collectibles

I have an antique foot pump organ with push/pull knobs above

I have an antique foot pump organ with push/pull knobs above the keys that most have words on them. They are "Bass Coupler, Forte, Principle, Clarion, Celeste and Trebler Coupler". Four knobs have missing labels. The name under the knobs says "The C.P. Bowlby Celebrated Princess Organ" and has a mirror near the top with a candle holder on each side. It also has carvings in the wood with three carved knobs around the mirror area. Can you give me an idea of what it's worth?

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am pleased to assist you. Based on a review of current recorded and documented sales of similar items in the past year and your description, the current market value is estimated to be from $250 to $550 pending condition and elaboration of the case...these are mainly considered decor items today so the fancier the case, the stronger the demand.

Regional demand can have an impact of values so be sure to check antique and collectible shops in your local area. This input will give you an idea of the trends in your area and then you can decide to sell locally or via one of the online markets.

Potential sales venues would be local listings on,, or , consignment to a local collector shop or inclusion in a local estate sale as an add-on.

I do hope this answers your question--if you would like any additional information or have additional questions on this topic, PLEASE don't hesitate to ask!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so have you heard of this particular name of pump organ? And how old might this brand of organ be?

Absolutely...the company was only around for a few years compared with most. Basically a carpenter by trade, Charles P. Bowlby, born in 1848, began to manufacture reed organs beginning with the "Princess" model in 1876. By 1883, he had added the "Princess" piano as well. His products were well crafted and well received but his business went bankrupt in 1890. He abandoned his factory, located in Washington, New Jersey, and joined, as a general partner, the Lawrence Organ Company at Easton, Pennsylvania. Your model was made, thus, from 1876 to 1889...but there are no specific records left accurately dating them beyond that. Best, Will
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, Will.

This helps me to get a start in finding a worth for this organ which came with the house when my parents purchased the farm in 1962. I will definitely look locally first to see if there may be an interested buyer. I thought maybe it might be worth more but at this point it may just be worth it to have more room in our living room!

Thanks again, Rose