nugentappraiser
nugentappraiser, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  Senior Accredited Appraiser since 1976 in all types of personal property
69702522

I have a painting by M. Ditlef that hung in my parents home

I have a painting by M. Ditlef that hung in my parent's home and I viewed it always as a child. I am now in my early 60's. It is very darkened and I wondered if there was any way to clean it. I would like to keep it in my home since both parents have passed away. It is in a light gold frame with designs on it and it is identical to some pictures online that almost have a creamy gold frame. Thank you for any answer

nugentappraiser :

Thank you for your question on restoring a painting. I would caution on taking any measures to clean the canvas unless you are trained and experienced. The oils (or acrylics) have settled into the pores of the canvas over a half century or so and ordinary cleaning fluids could most likely cause damage that be would be very expensive to correct. I would suggest that you contact local art galleries that might know a professional art restorer; or, as a last resort go online and type in 'Art Restoration'. That should bring up sites that you could send your painting to. I am not sure if you were only asking for advice or did you also want a valuation? Ray

Customer:

Do you have any idea of its worth?

nugentappraiser :

Here is an interesting note to start with. All that is known about M. Ditlef is that only (2) of his prints have been found. The other artist,
Antoni Ditlef, maybe related due to the last name and similar genre, (4) of his works have been found. The two by M. Ditlef are titled "Sonata" with a woman seated at a piano in a Victorian red gown. The other is "Song of Love" with a lady in a light blue gown seated at a piano. Can you describe your painting? Ray

Customer:

Mine is definitely Song of Love.

Customer:

My parents probably bought this in our town in Scranton, Pa. They didn't have a lot of money to buy super expensive paintings but it is very sentimental to me.

nugentappraiser :

I know the feeling - I have a painting that my folks bought early in their marriage and now that they are both gone, it has special meaning beyond market value. The "Song of Love" framed has a market value of $2,850.00. I know you cherish the painting and will be careful in any restoration efforts. I hope this helps and, if there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time. I truly value your feedback. Come back soon and ask for me! Ray