ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

Please give me the value of an Elizabeth Hubbell original painting

Please give me the value of an Elizabeth Hubbell original painting 2' x 4'. It is a river scene with the mountains in the back.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the inquiry! Elizabeth Hubbell is a American artist (1905 to 1999) who painted primarily landscapes. I found a single example of her work that has sold at auction in recent years at the $30 level, see: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/7171436 - I did find another example being offered online at the $495 level (although that did not sell).

Based on similar quality paintings that have sold (but in absence of any real resale market for Hubbell's works), a value of $200 to $300 would be appropriate based on your description.

From the family's web site: "Patricia & Elizabeth Hubbell were a mother and daughter team of professional traditional-style artists that had a sucessful career spanning more than 60 years in California. Their paintings are highly prized for their incredible precision and style."

Again, thank you and please let me know if you have further information that may assist me and how I may be of further help to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Lindy Epp

(please don't reply to this as replying puts a freeze on my account until I reply)
Hello Lindy,

Following up because I noticed that you either a) have not yet reviewed your answer or b) reviewed your answer and did not elect to rate the answer positively.

At Just Answer, the only way that experts receive any compensation is if you rate the answer favorably. If there's any information that I did not provide, please let me know how I may be of further assistance to you.

If you already rated this interaction positively - thank you - and please excuse this reminder.

Again, thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Needless to say, I expected the value of the painting to be much more. . The size of the painting, I assumed (2' x 4'), would have something to do with the value, as well as the fact that the artist is no longer alive. I was mistaken. I am sorry if I do not sound "pleased as punch" with your appraisal.

Hi Lindy, I'm sorry that I cannot make your painting more valuable; as you can see, a similar one did sell for $30 and there is currently one that has been listed on eBay for quite some time at the $495 level with no offers.

Best of luck and I'm sorry that you're unhappy with the value of your painting. Hopefully you enjoy living with it!
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience: USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
Hi Lindy, was there other information you were requesting or expecting? Please advise and thanks!