Michelle
Michelle, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience as an antiques dealer, collector, researcher, columnist and journalist.
52213563
Antiques

I would like to know the value of a 1940s Bluebird cedar chest.

I would like to know... Show More
I would like to know the value of a 1940's Bluebird cedar chest. it's in good condition.
Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your question.

The Bluebird cedar hope chests were made by Dillingham Mfg. Co. in Wisconsin. They began operation in 1857.

From what I can see in the photo, your piece looks to have been made in the 1920s and if it is in excellent condition with no lifting of the veneer, no deep scratches or marks would sell for $125-$150 USD.

Please feel free to ask me additional questions on your lovely cedar chest. I am here to work with you to fully respond to your question.

Thank you, Michelle
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

what would be the best way to sell something like this?

Is there a date filled in on the form? I cannot tell from the photo as it is cut off on the right side.

I based the year of manufacture on the veneer design on the front. I am not aware of a directory or database that the company kept to help date pieces by serial number.

For large items such as this craigslist.com is the easiest way to sell it. You can also put it on eBay and restrict it to local buyers who must come pick it up. This would be a bugger to pack and ship.

Thank you, Michelle
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.
No date that I can see. My Grandpa baught it in 1948 for my Grandma.What would be the least I should take for this?
If the exterior is in excellent to very good condition I would not take less than $125 for it.

From what I can see the inside looks nice and clean and cedar chests sell very well.

Thank you, Michelle