Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

i have victoria carlsbad vase from 1890 made in austria photo

Customer Question

i have victoria carlsbad vase from 1890 made in austria photo of lady in her chair and angei in fornt on her side 2 ladys in the bach fix her long hair ..16" high 27" round in the middle the handle go over the top . the handle are 7" long and the joint on top 2"over the opening .on the the flowers 5" high one rose 3 other flowers 12 smaller flowers vase white with alot of gold small flowers the two ends are blue
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help with your Victoria vase.

Can I confirm you would like this vase appraised, correct? As you did not include a specific question.

Also, could you very kindly provide a photo of it.

Here's a REALLY simple way to attach pictures (four clicks and a copy-and-paste and you're done!) First collar a passing teenager with an iPhone,

Go to www.imgur.com

click on Computer

Select the picture file from the box that pops up.

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

And then copy the link they give you and paste it here.

Don't worry if this is a problem, I can work 'blind' if necessary but will give you a much more meaningful appraisal if I can see the style and artistic merit.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i like it appraised .. i only know how to do photos by text .. if u can give a phone # XXXXX will u the photos
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
F:\DSCF1329 (2).jpg
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for trying to send pictures but the link will not open.

You can email your picture to experts@justanswer.com

and ask them to forward it to me, Robert Stoney, in the Antiques category. It may
take a while (allow at least 48 hours) for it to be sent on, so please be patient,
but I will get back to you as soon as I see it appear in my inbox.

Many thanks,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did e-mail last night 6 photos ..on the note that i find inside the vase it said antique handpainted german victoria chi na carlsbad austria ..it,s in top top top condition coloring is uniform around the entire surface
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for emailing the photos. I look forward to seeing them. Maybe they will be forwarded to me this evening or tomorrow. Either way I will let you know the moment I see them.

That's great that you got the note out of the vase! I'm glad it confirms the maker and origin.

Best,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the note said this vase was seen on the antiques road show ,org, 1-19, 2008 the value was @3800.00 $ but i don,t if that was real .
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Interesting!

I had a look through the US Antique Roadshow archives for the whole of 2008 but there is no mention of a Carlsbad vase that I could find.

I'll wait till I see the pictures and we'll go from there.

Have a great evening!

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did look too for it but i didn,t see it us i look more i did put your comp up this how i find about you ... thank you does your comp have the photos i did sent .
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

No sign of the photos yet!

Will let you know as soon as they are sent to me.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i send 2 days ago to you and to my son in rio i had his in same time ,, why yours did not come or you guys take over 7 days so people have to pay you .. i did not get the photos back ..
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry it is taking as long as you say for the photos to come through. The ones you sent on 8/7/2012 (as you mentioned above) should get to me soon.

I wish I could help more but I have no control over this as I do not work for JustAnswers. I operate as an independent agent and JustAnswers is a matchmaking service to put you and I together.

We'll get there eventually! Muito obrigado pela sua paciência.

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
08-7-2012

> From:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
> To:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:58:28 -0700
> Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)
>
> This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.
>
> Delivery to the following recipients failed.
>
>XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,08-7-2012 

> From:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
> To:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
> Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:58:28 -0700

>XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

I see you tried to send me something, however all I got was the message:

"Delivery to the following recipients failed"

Can you very kindly try again or try a different way.

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did a new on wish it was reply to your e-mail with 10 photos about 2 hours ago .. please see if u have it ..
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Nothing came through yet, I'm afraid.

Please tell me you used this email,

experts@justanswer.com ?

Otherwise they won't get to me. This is the only email address to send photos to.

They are usually forwarded quite quickly but can take up to 48 hours.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no i reply to your e=mail the bishop king at justanswer info @justanswer.com but i will send toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX now
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Great! Thank you!

I am sorry this is so much work for you. You are very patient person!

We'll get there in the end,

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

"Delivery to the following recipients failed" again

Did you use experts@justanswer.com ?

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can i send to your phone
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

I wish you could send it to my phone, unfortunately I don't have a smart phone.

Not too smart, eh?

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are geting the photos
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Well done! One came through as a tiny thumbnail (I might be able to work with it but can't see the detail) but the rest are xxxxx's I'm afraid.

If you can post pictures this way then you you'll find www.imgur.com SO MUCH easier:

Go to www.imgur.com
click on Computer

Hit open.

Click on Start Upload

We are getting there!

Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
did u get the photos
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://imgur.com/a/IJoO9#XCZVl
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

Hello again!

Thanks for the streams of photos! Well done, I have enough for a movie now!

They are all thumbnail size so I cannot see all the detail, but I can see enough to tell you what you have.

I am assuming the mark on the base is this one, correct?

http://www.collectorscircle.com/bohemian/porcelain/marks/images/gs002VictoriaSchmidt-Mark-03.jpg

Which is the mark for Victoria Schmidt, which the company used from 1891 to 1918.

Stylistically, this type of decoration and handle shape was typical of the period 1900 - 1910, which narrows the date down a little more. So your vase is well over a hundred years old.

Victoria Schmidt & Co began at Lazarus & Rosenfeld, Ltd in 1883 who sold to Franz Schmidt two years later. The factory was located in Altrohlau, Bohemia, which was then part of Austria. The same town today is called Stará Role, and the country is now the Czech Republic. It is located on the outskirts of Karlovy Vary (Carlsbad) about 80 miles due west of Prague.

Your vase is baluster shaped with elegant high arching & scrolled handles that join at top, terminating in an acorn finial, and all done in the Art Nouveau or jugendstil style. It has scattered flowers on one side and a figural scene from the classics on the other. The scene is a polychrome print (not hand painted) based on a painting called "Cleopatra" by the acclaimed Swiss artist Angelica Kauffmann (1741 - 1807). Here's a version of it on a very similar vase to yours:

http://images.skinnerinc.com/full/697/604697.jpg

XXXXX XXXXXffmann was a much copied and admired artist in the late 1800s. In fact she had more acclaim at this time, some fifty years after she died, and at the time your vase was made, than she ever did during her lifetime.

The vase is also elaborately decorated in gold, though I notice a good deal of the gold has rubbed from the handles which is going to reduce its value, I'm afraid.

If you were to see your vase for sale in an antique store it would have a retail value of $650.00. This is the replacement value and what you should insure it for.

Expect to get approximately 30% - 40% of this if you were to sell at auction or on line.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you wish any further information, I would be happy to help.

And thanks for all your hard work and persevering with the photographs.

Best wishes,

Robert

Expert:  Robert S. replied 2 years ago.

PS. Please don't forget to rate my answer (at no extra cost to you) as I don't get paid for my work until or unless you do.

Many thanks!

Robert