Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I have an antique gooseneck rocking chair that was handled

I have an antique gooseneck rocking chair that was handled down to me by my mother 28 years ago. She inherited it roughly 40 years ago. Before her it belonged to my great aunt. I would like to learn more about it and what it may be worth. There are no marking on the bottom giving any info. that I can fine. It has the gooseneck carved handles w/ padded arms, which are missing. Also a craved rose w/ leaves at the head. Hard wood w/ cherry finish. Fabric apostary. Any help in leading me where to start would be greatful. Thank you.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

.

I cannot tell you who made this without a makers mark on the chair, these were made very popular in the first part of the 20thC. I can however give you a value for this if you would like?

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can you give me a value if we don't know anything about the chair?

Linda,

These chairs are quite common, there are a lot of them for sell, and I also have numerous furniture books that I can refer to. This was a very popular chair and many furniture manufacturers produced a variation of this chair. There are plain ones that are just upholstered with the goose neck arms, there are ones that have upholstery with the wood gooseneck arms and decorative wood decor on the top, some have very fancy legs that attach to the rockers. If you would rather I not do a value since I cannot find the maker I completely understand. If you like you can look this up yourself, just google the name and click image on the left of the page you will see many of these.

Glenda

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Following are 4 pictures that may better help in giving a value and any other info you can provide. Thanks.

gooseneck rocking chair -1

gooseneck rocking chair -2gooseneck rocking chair -3

gooseneck rocking chair -4

Hi Linda,

.

Gooseneck rocking chairs are among the most popular types of rocking chairs,
with a history stretching back to artisan carpenters in 18th century America.
During the 1700s, artisans created the Gooseneck rocking chair as a comfortable
but elegant version of the rocking chair. These chairs became popular in the
19th century and still offer a comfort no other chair can equal. A Gooseneck
rocking chair has arms and legs carved to resemble the neck of a goose. The "Antique Gooseneck Rocker, in Hardwood with Cherry Finish Carved Top", circa: early 20thC, has an estimated value on the secondary retail market for an of average of $700.00-850.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. )

.

So be sure to check your local area. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

.

New Rating System, Explanation: Please Rate Me Only, not the Website.

Also, please rate my service to you not the price I have to report, I cannot control the value of an item, we use the most up todate data bases, references and research material. I cannot control current values.

.

I am a appraiser who is a user of the site to answer questions for customers who come here. I do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

.

A rating of one of the top 3 smiley faces Smile lets JustAnswer/ Pearl know I did my job, this is the only way I am paid and credited for my time, at no additional cost to the you. Please leave a good feed back rating not, "Bad Service" or "Poor Service" it is very much appreciated, unless you do not feel a good feedback is warranted, then please let me know what else I can do for you, ( if anything ) to help get a good feedback by, clicking on the " Continue the Conversation Link". My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep.

.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

.

Thank you so much

Glenda