Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.

Elgin pocket watch serial #23267160, Wadsworth Referee 20 year

Elgin pocket watch serial #23267160, Wadsworth Referee 20 year warranty case, mfg 1921, grade 315, 12 size, 15 jewels, rate 18,000bph, Class 114, Model 3. keeps time excellent. case is worn through gold-filled about 2/3 of the circumference intermittently at the height of contour near the rim on the backside of ~1-2mm in width and some slight wear of the inscription. Face, hands and crystal face are in excellent condition. Estimated value?

Hi and thanks for choosing us.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to see if I can help.

Thanks for all the information. That pretty much takes care of any question I could ask. =)

Those specs do match the serial number, so your information is accurate.

Based on my records and latest guides (like Engle's guide) of your watch specs, these watches are typically valued in the range of $100 to $250. Given that it's in excellent working condition, it should fall in the middle to high end of that range. Typcally a gold filled case adds about $50 to the value, but given that your case is worn through, it likley won't add much to the overall value.

Exact pricing will depend on the condition and where you sell it.

At an auction, you're really dependent on the audience unless you stick a reserve on your watch. They can go high or low. Plus you might have dealers in the audience, so they might try to get values lower so they can make a profit later on. So, auction prices generally fall around dealer prices.

Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less...sometimes as much as 25% less. Trade and shows and dealers won't offer as much.

Your best values will come from a private sale to another collector. Many specialize in vintage and antique jewelry and some will allow you to sell on consignment.

Craigslist is a worthy shot because it's free. Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores for selling old watches and do sell worldwide.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

I hope this helps.

New Rating System, Explanation:

Please Rate Me Only, not the Website or the values I provide.

I am an appraiser who uses this site to answer questions for customers who come here. I do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you. I know sometimes the values are not what is expected, but they are based on the latest guides and actual recorded sales.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me with at least 3 stars or 3 smileys and above. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile, please use the blue Continue the Conversation or Reply to Me link instead - and tell me what else I can do for you to improve my rating.

You do not have to choose a rating in order to continue our converstion. You can just click the blue continue the conversation link if you want to reply to me.

My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep..

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

I look forward to working with you again.

Have a great weekend!