Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.

I have a letter signed by J.Edgar Hoover thanking the reci

I have a letter signed by J.Edgar Hoover thanking the recipient.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.

MTantiques :

Good Evening

MTantiques :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help you with your J.Edgar Hoover autograph

MTantiques :

Can you give me any further information on the recipient or the contents of the letter

MTantiques :

Also the condition of the letter as well as the signature

MTantiques :

Is there any smudging or damage to the letter?

Customer:

yes-It is to a pilot who had transported him in 1938. Good or better. NO

No

MTantiques :

Thank you very much for that information. Is this a hand written letter or typed?

MTantiques :

Also is it on his letter head?

MTantiques :

or personal stationary

MTantiques :

I see that your are still typing let me know if you are having any difficulties with the site

Customer:

Typed. Letterhead. I have three written on different occasions

.I have finished typing and pressed Reply

MTantiques :

Ok thank you very much

MTantiques :

The fact that it is on his letter head is very helpful in the value of the piece

MTantiques :

A value for a single letter of J. Edgar Hoover typed with a hand written signature would be between 200-350 dollars depending on the condition as well as the content of the letter

MTantiques :

If you were to attempt a resale of the letter with Hoover's hand signature a fair market value would be between 125-175 dollars

MTantiques :

If there was historically significant information in the letter this would increase the value, but if it is basically a thank you note with his hand written autograph these would be around the correct values

Customer:

One letter followed a trip when Hoover had them in his office after a trip with "G-Men" transporting Alva Hunt & Hugh Gant.

MTantiques :

This letter would have a bit more value as it pertains to other historically significant people

MTantiques :

In a resale situation that letter may value for between 150-250 dollars with the clean and clear hand signature

MTantiques :

Please let me know if this information has helped you this evening

MTantiques :

If you can leave any feedback for me I would greatly appreciate it, if you have any further questions I would be happy to assist

MTantiques :

Thanks for your time and question this evening

Customer:

Would the flight log of this trip have any value?

Yes this has been helpful. Would you please respond to the question about the flight log which is hand written.

MTantiques :

If Hoover was on the flight it would only aid to the sale and increase the value

MTantiques :

For many autographs the provenance or proof of the autograph is the biggest component of the sale

MTantiques :

If you can prove the autograph is real with information like the Letter head and the flight log this can help sell the pieces as well as increase the value

MTantiques :

Please let me know if you have any further questions. I hope this was helpful in your research of your J.Edgar Hoover Letter and autograph

Experience: Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  Frank replied 1 year ago.
Hello Shirley If you have any further questions this evening I would be happy to assist you,
I am glad the information was helpful to you,
Best of luck with your J Edgar Hoover Memorabilia,
Thanks for your time this evening,
Frank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.