Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have a Stickley rocker I am woundering what it is worth.

I have a Stickley rocker I am woundering what it is worth. Ihas the Quaint Furnitur Stickley Bros. Col Grand Rapid. Mich label still on it . It also has Like a burned in stamp just under neath that and the off to the sid has the number 504 stamped on it.

The Quaint Furnitur Stickley Bros. Col Grand Rapid. Mich Oak Rocker circa: has an estimated value for an of average of $500.00-750.00, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. )

The first Stickley endeavor was a company called Stickley Brothers Furniture Company in upstate New York, formed in 1884 under the leadership of Gustav, Albert and Charles. But like many family arrangements, that began to come apart quickly. Charles left first, joining his in-laws to form Stickley-Brandt. Then Albert left to join his brother, John George, in a new venture. Gustav, meanwhile, changed the name of the original company to Gustav Stickley Co. That left Albert and J.G. free to use the name Stickley Brothers for their new company in Grand Rapids, Mich., formed in 1891. Of course, J.G. soon left to open L. & J.G. Stickley in New York in 1902 with another brother, Leopold, but the seed was sown in Grand Rapids.
The Michigan company at first made Colonial Revival occasional chairs and fancy tables, until the popularity of the Mission style, promoted by oldest brother Gustav under the Craftsman label, became impossible to ignore. So Stickley Brothers jumped into the already-crowded field of Arts & Crafts period manufacturers turning out factory-produced, Mission-style furniture. They produced their first line of Mission-style in 1900, but they needed a name. The name "Stickley" was already overshadowed by Gustav, so they had to come up with a new hook. That hook was the term "Quaint."
Their first line of Mission-style was blocky, with little decoration except for hand-wrought copper hardware and Spanish-leather upholstery. By 1903 the "Quaint Mission" line was in full production and was well-received in the market. But the primary Mission market was thin and short-lived, and the company began to move away from it as soon as 1909, even though mailorder houses like Larkin continued to carry it into the 1920s.

At first, the designs just became a softer version of straight Mission, with turned legs and curves. But that soon grew well beyond the original look of pure Mission and in 1904 was renamed "Quaint Arts & Crafts," which lasted another decade. But by then it was time to move on. But to what? And what to call it?
The "what" turned out to be European revival styles advertised as "modernized period styles" in the 1910s. And the name? What else but reliable old "Quaint." This time, though, the new line was the "Quaint Tudor" line of heavy, English bulb-turned furniture that seemed not too far away from the heavier Mission styles.

That was followed in 1914 by "Quaint Manor," featuring slenderized Austrian designs with cane panels and cut-out decorations. At the same time, Stickley Brothers engaged several Japanese artisans to bring a fresh look to their designs, and that resulted in other period revivals with painted finishes and Oriental decorations, quite a departure from Mission.
But the American Colonial Revival movement was too strong and too important to be ignored much longer.
By the early 1920s, the company came out with its "Quaint American" line of styles that featured natural-finish American style Windsor chairs and ladder-back chairs, along with brightly painted versions. These were accompanied by reproductions of Colonial-period gateleg tables and a wide variety of case goods that loosely reproduced most of the important styles of Colonial America. This was followed by complete matching bedroom sets and dining sets, all under the cover name of Quaint American. One deviation was an offshoot called "Adam Colonial" in 1925, but that was just a more informal rendering of the Revival style.
The same year, a line called "Peasant" was introduced that imitated the country look of central Europe. By the mid-1920s, the company quit referring to its style lines with specific identities attached to the Quaint label and just called them "Quaint American Furniture."
The company label reflected this shift, and by 1926 the label was changed to simply read, "Quaint Furniture of Character, Stickley Bros. Co." By 1928 it was further simplified to just "Quaint Furniture." By the mid-1930s, the only reference to Quaint in the company label was found in the Art Nouveau-style logo that had been employed since 1902. From the 1930s to the 1950s when the company closed, Stickley Brothers produced "country" informal versions of American Colonial styles that eventually fit in nicely w

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

New Rating System, Explanation:Please Rate Me Only, not the Website.

I am a appraiser who is a user of the site to answer questions for customers who come here. I do my very best to offer you the most current values and any information I can find for you.

A good feed back rating lets JustAnswer/ Pearl know I did my job and therefore I get credit and compensation for my work, so please leave a good feed back ( 3 stars and above, or 3 smiley faces and above, not "Helped a little" or "I expected more" ) it is very much appreciated, unless you do not feel a good feedback is warranted, then please let me know what else I can do for you, ( if anything ) to help get a good feedback by, clicking on the " Continue the Conversation Link". My good rating is very important to me and something I strive to keep.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much