Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

I have some original Taco Bell dogs. Are these worth anyt

I have some original Taco Bell dogs. Are these worth anything?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Southwb replied 2 years ago.

Southwb :

Hello

Southwb :

What year and what size taco bell dogs do you have?

Customer:

They are 5-1/2" tall, are in excellent condition (never played with) and have item numbers on the tags, made by Applause with the exception of one which has a Taco Bell tag, but all were gotten through Taco Bell at the time of the promotion. I do not see a year on the tags but were gotten several years ago when they had their promotion.

Expert:  Glenda B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is Glenda,
Thank you for choosing us for your Appraisal needs.

.
In September 1997, Taco Bell used the dog in one advertisement in the Northeastern United States. The advertising campaign began during a peak in the "Burger Wars," in which several fast food chains were engaged in large advertising campaigns against each other.
.
The dog (sometimes depicted as a Mexican revolutionary wearing a beret or as a bandido wearing a sombrero) was made to speak through special effects. Her advertising catchphrase was "¡Yo quiero Taco Bell!" ("I want Taco Bell!"). Her voiceover was provided by Carlos Alazraqui whilst Perry Herman played the national announcer.
.
The figure grew popular, so much so that toy figures of the dog were produced, and "Yo quiero (X)" became a recognized piece of popular culture. The dog also started 2 other catchphrases: "Drop the chalupa!" (which briefly became an oft-quoted phrase on SportsCenter) and "Viva Gorditas!," meaning "Long live Gorditas!" In a noted crossover with the 1998 Godzilla film, the dog famously tried to trap the monster in a box, goading the beast with the phrase, "Here, lizard lizard lizard!", only to see Godzilla's size and respond, "Uh-oh. I think I'm going to need a bigger box" (a reference to Jaws).
.
In July 2001, Taco Bell ended the chihuahua advertisements, ended its relationship with their creator TBWA, and replaced the company's president, after same-store sales fell by 6% in the second quarter of 2000, the largest such decline in Taco Bell history. It was incorrectly rumored that Taco Bell ended the commercials because the dog died. Some Latin Americans accused the dog of being a cultural stereotype, and Tom Kenny, who is a friend of Carlos Alazraqui (who was the voice of the Taco Bell chihuahua), said that Hispanic advocacy groups lobbying for the end of the campaign led to the cancellation of the Taco Bell dog. Other reports say the use of the dog was discontinued because it failed to increase Taco Bell's revenue stream in spite of the dog's popularity.
.
In 2003, Taco Bell lost a lawsuit by two Michigan men, who had pitched the concept of the Chihuahua to Taco Bell 6 years earlier. The company turned them down, but went forward with the campaign with TBWA. The men sued and in 2003, a jury awarded them $30.1 million in compensationplus nearly $12 million in additional interest three months later. Taco Bell in turn sued TBWA saying it should have been aware of the conflicts. In 2009, a three-judge federal federal appeals panel ruled against Taco Bell.

.

If you got your Dogs when the promotion started they are from around 1997, and are currently estimated to sell on the secondary retail market for an average of 15.00-20.00, depending on where they are for sale at, the condition, if they are still in original packaging.
.

This will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop, Resell Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, I would check with your local Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for. As antiques and collectibles are subject in selling price to different areas across the country..( Larger Metropolitan Areas bring higher prices then Smaller Cities. ).

.

So be sure to check your local area. This will give you an idea of what it goes for in your area, then you can decide to sell locally or at one of the online markets.

.

If I can be of any further help, please feel free contacting me, if there is a problem with my answer please feel free contacting me before leaving a negative feedback, any problem can be resolved.

.

A good feed back rating lets JustAnswer/ Pearl know I did my job and therefore I get credit and compensation for it, so please leave a good feed back if there is a place to do so. It is very much appreciated, and if you do not feel a good feedback is warranted, then please let me know what else I can do for you, ( if anything ) to help get a good feedback.

.

And if you would like to use me on any further questions. It works much better putting my name ( Glenda ) in your question , then I will be sure to get it. Requesting me expires in just a short time.

.

It has been a pleasure working for you, I look forward to it again.

Thank you so much

Glenda

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.