Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Bachelor of Arts Degree (summa cum laude); 10+ years exp.
48688175

Just boughht A Hira Fine China (Japan), Dogwood pattern, complete

Customer Question

Just boughht A Hira Fine China (Japan), Dogwood pattern, complete set with many extra pieces for $65 at an auction. What would this set appraise for?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Are you looking for an insurance value for the set?

Thanks,
Diana
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well Insurance and sale value?

Expert:  Diana F. replied 4 years ago.
HI again.

I can do that. Based on my records your set should have a current secondary market value in the range of $550 to $750 and an insurance value of $1100.

Keep in mind that prices will depend on the exact condition of your pieces and where you sell them. Different parts of the country do bring different values. Auctions tend to bring much less than value than a higher end antique shop or even an online antique store.

You'll often do better in terms of pricing if you break the set up and sell the pieces individually.

Etsy and Amazon are turning about to be a great alternative to Ebay and do sell worldwide. http://www.bonanza.com/ and http://www.artfire.com/ are pretty good up and coming online sites. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great selling sites too.
.
You might check out the consignment cost with any local antique shops. Some places charge about 25% to 30% of final sell price, but in dealing local you generally have less competition. It's always worth checking out.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer because they're looking for profits too.

If you go with Ebay, consider a reserve.

If I can be of any further help or if you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

.

Please make sure to rate my answer or choose a smile or star if I have been of any help, since this is the only way we are compensated. A good feedback or rating lets Just Answer / Pearl know that I did a good job and therefore I get compensated for my time and work. It's very much appreciated.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

.
If there is a problem with my answer or you don't feel it I deserve a good feedback or rating, please contact me before leaving any neutral or negative feedback. I want to do everything I can to make sure you're satisfied.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.

.

Have a great afternoon and good luck!

~Diana