Frank
Frank, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.
66811035

I have an old shoe repair machine manufactured in the 20s.

I have an old shoe repair machine manufactured in the '20s. Prox 8 feet long with various scouring (grinding heads) heads. What is its value and how best can it be listed?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Good Evening,
Are there any maker's or manufacturing marks on the piece? Do you have a picture you would be able to send?
ANy information would be very helpful,
Thank you for your time,
Frank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The manufacturer was Progressive Shoe Machinery-Minneapolis MN. I found a company catalogue published in 1921. (Minnesota Historical society Library OCLC #34972892. I have a picture and will try to download it to you. Have patience, I'm just as old as the machine so my computer skills are slow and brief.
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your time, I will be able to assist you at your earliest convenience.,
Frank
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Frank replied 2 years ago.
Good Afternoon John,
Thank you for getting the picture to me, Wow that is a real piece of classic machinery. I was able to locate your exact same model in the 1921 machinery catalog, advertising the machine to she repair shops. I would appraise the item at a fair market value between 300-400 as a piece of collectible antiquarian machinery. There are similar smaller shoe repair machines being sold for a range of between 200-300, but not like yours. These values also are depending on condition. From the picture it looks to be in good shape with no rust. There are a couple of things working for you in the current market as industrial pieces are being sold very well but as decorative collectibles. As far as a collectible for someone who is looking for your item as a piece of vintage machinery it may be tough to find a buyer, but someone who is looking to buy this would be looking for antiquarian mechanical memorabilia, or just a collector of vintage equipment. It is not your everyday piece that is why I would say that it will take time to sell it but the person who buys it will spend money on it because there are not many of these machines left as most large items like this were tossed aside when new equipment was brought in or scrapped during WWII. I would recommend a forum such as ebay or craigslist, as you will need a world wide audience to sell this item as regional demand may not be strong. If you know of a local shop that specializes in vintage equipment or industrial pieces they maybe able to either make you an offer or consign the piece which could be a good idea as this would be difficult to ship. Great Piece of American equipment.
I hope that I was able to help get you started selling your shoe repair machine,
Thanks very much for your question,
Best of luck with the machine,
Frank
Experience: Expert in gold, silver, jewelry and American antiquities.