Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.

I have a Homan Mfg Co pitcher, special metal, #2873. Can you

I have a Homan Mfg Co pitcher, special metal, #2873. Can you tell me what the current value is?

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to help with your Homan Mfg piece.

Can you very kindly look at the shape number again as Homan's # XXXXX in "Special Metal" is a child's plate stand.

Pitchers in 'Special Metal" with similar numbers include the following. Does it look like any of these?

If none of the above, can you possibly attach a picture?

1. Click the paperclip icon

2. Click the Browse icon

3. Click the Browse button

4. Select your file and click Open

5. Click OK

6. Click Insert

7. Click Save Changes on this page

Or, you can upload them to a free webhosting site
like or

and simply copy and paste the link here.

Or, if all that fails you can email your picture
file to [email protected] and ask

them to forward them to me, Robert Stoney, in the Antiques category. It may

take a while (allow at least 48 hours) for them to be sent on, so please be

but I will get back to you as soon as I see them appear in my inbox.

Many thanks and wait to hear,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks for the great photo!

Now I can see what you have. What a wonderful piece!

About 10 inches tall and 7 inches across the base? Most likely an iced beverage pitcher or perhaps a coffee pot.

I can see now where the #2873 comes from. They used the child's plate (pre-marked 2873) as a base mount for this design. I have not seen this exact form in a Homan piece before. The decoration and style is straight out of the 1890s with its Tudor revival style and vertical bands of machine-milled engraving. So it's at least a hundred and ten years old.

These were all constructed of Britannia metal which in the US is a silver colored alloy of tin (predominantly) with small amounts of antimony, copper and zinc that is reminiscent of pewter, but harder. This is then silverplated by electrolysis and each manufacturer tended to have their own brand name for this composite. Most called it "EPBM" (Electro Plated Britannia Metal) but in Homan's case they opted for the name "Special Metal".

You may also see it says "Warranted Triple Plate" around the Homan Mfg Co & anchor logo, which means it was electroplated in three layers of silver.

If you were to see it for sale in an antique store it would have a retail (or replacement) value of $350.00.

Expect to get about 40 - 50% of that value if you were to sell it at auction or on-line.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes,